| GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER PROFILE:
THE OCEAN CLUB COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION/OCEAN CLUB KEY BISCAYNE
KEY BISCAYNE, FL
THE GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER OPPORTUNITY AT THE OCEAN CLUB COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION/OCEAN CLUB KEY BISCAYNE
The Ocean Club Community Association (OCCA) is seeking a polished, energized, capable and motivated community management/hospitality professional to lead the organization of this vibrant community and club operation located on a barrier island ten minutes from downtown Miami. Possessing exceptional relationship skills in addition to a foundation of talent acquisition and development, strategic planning and community governance/leadership skills, this role is the is primarily focused on projects, strategic initiatives and community related issues while having oversight of all aspects of this vibrant operation.
Being a thoughtful, ROI-minded diplomatic leader, comfortable and effective in a multi-cultural environment, the new GM/COO will lead an organization focused on ensuring relevancy, continuing elevation of resident services and experiences, and will do so in one of the most eclectic and desirable communities in Southeast Florida.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
THE OCEAN CLUB COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION/OCEAN CLUB KEY BISCAYNE
Surrounded by breathtaking ocean vistas, OCCA is a luxurious private community featuring exceptional resort-style amenities, coveted accommodations and unsurpassed views.
A gated, resident-owned community situated on Key Biscayne, the community spans 52 meticulously planned acres, offers 11 high-rise and mid-rise towers, all with close access to The Beach Club – the pinnacle of this oceanfront, family friendly community. The community comprises 802 units ranging in price from $1M to several million dollars. Within these eleven buildings are six individual associations and a master association, each headed by their own board of directors. Membership is restricted to ownership or lease of a condominium unit.
The Beach Club features an exquisite rotunda, marble mosaic and freshwater fountains, the grand Mediterranean styled Beach Club embraces 30,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor recreation via cascading stairs and the magnificent cathedral lounge.
The elegant, beautifully appointed private Palm Court dining room offers members and guests globally inspired evening cuisine or alternatively, they can enjoy the casual atmosphere at The Beach Bar & Grill for poolside nibbles, festive meals and refreshing drinks for lunch through dinner. Additionally, the new FRESCO dining venue, with indoor and outdoor seating, is an upscale option with a cool ‘vibe’ and overlooks the pool and ocean beyond.
Ocean Club residents enjoy the eight LED lighted Har-Tru tennis courts and clubhouse, including a pro shop, spacious lounge with bar, and gentlemen's and ladies' locker rooms plus a wrap-around veranda overlooking the tennis courts. The Ocean Club boasts a total of nine swimming pools throughout the community. Each of the six community associations has its own pool for the exclusive use of its residents and their guests. Additional offerings include the members-only Health & Fitness Spa featuring cardio and aerobics rooms and fitness specialists, a salon and spa treatments.
Several aspects of the Club’s amenities have been renovated over the past couple of years including the fitness/wellness center, the dining areas, the children’s pool and more including many ‘back of house’ areas.
THE OCEAN CLUB COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION/OCEAN CLUB KEY BISCAYNE BY THE NUMBERS:
THE OCEAN CLUB COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION/OCEAN CLUB KEY BISCAYNE WEB SITE: www.oceanclubkeybiscayne.org
- OCCA has a budget of slightly more than $12.0M including over $2.5M in F&B
- Annual master association dues are approximately $11,260 per unit.
- The nearly 30,000 sq. ft. clubhouse has a recently expanded main dining area, multiple smaller dining and function options, ample outdoor seating and gathering spaces. A separate bistro, adjacent to the pool, overlooks the ocean and is a very active indoor/outdoor dining and bar area.
- The expanded fitness/wellness operation is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and services.
- The Club employs over 110 full-time year-round employees.
- The Club uses the JONAS system for FOH and BOH operations.
- The Club has a solid reserve of capital resources and consistently operates with a balanced budget.
- The Club is organized as a not-for-profit corporation and is governed as a property owners’ association.
- The Club has an annual $1,500 minimum food purchase requirement.
- Approximately 60% of the members live in the community year-round.
- More than 50% of members are young families with children
GENERAL MANAGER/CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER POSITION OVERVIEW
The General Manager/Chief Operating Officer (GM/COO) is responsible for the day-to-day administration and operations of the OCCA. He or she directs and administers all aspects of the operations: the common areas, infrastructure, amenities, and staff, as well as all programs and activities, Board and Committee coordination and member/resident relations. Essentially all OCCA operations and staff management are responsibilities of the GM/COO. Ideally, the GM/COO has a proven record of success and stability in similar “five star” communities or resort properties with similar elements, as well as a history of driving a culture of excellence, accountability, continuous improvement and professional development.
FINANCIAL ACUMEN & GENERAL EXPECTATIONS
- The GM/COO prepares the yearly goals and objectives upon which the annual operating and capital budgets are created and, after Board approval, manages and controls the operations to attain the desired results. The GM/COO communicates regularly with the board and finance committee about results-to-budget and is proactive in analyzing variances and identifying significant issues. Quantitative skills and focus on cutting waste and inefficiencies without sacrificing member satisfaction, as well as driving higher usage and engagement of amenities.
- The GM/COO has a proactive part in the strategic planning process, real estate and broker community marketing and relationship enhancement, ensuring each of these areas of focus consider current and future membership input and demographics.
- The GM/COO is the catalyst for examining and forecasting trends of membership demographics and service desires. He or she benchmarks the marketability of the community by comparing it to existing and new communities within the region. He or she also networks with local and national community managers and professional associations to stay ahead of local and national demographic and lifestyle trends.
- The GM/COO provides sincere and visibly engaged leadership and interaction with OCCA community members. He or she is a consistent and positive force behind the creation and continuous enhancement of all aspects of OCCA, supporting the overall values of the property within the community.
- The GM/COO ensures that members have consistent opportunities to provide input, suggestions, observations and concerns about all aspects of the Association and he or she, in turn, has multiple opportunities for communication and information exchange back to each constituency.
- The GM/COO recognizes, respects, and supports the contributions of direct reports and staff, celebrating their successes, and holding them accountable for achievement of agreed-upon annual and more frequently determined goals and objectives.
COMMUNICATIONS & INFORMATION EXCHANGE
- The GM/COO proactively works in concert with the Board and Committees, as appropriate, to keep them informed on all department head compensation, benefits, performance appraisal, disciplinary and other significant personnel actions.
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
- The GM/COO clearly understands and enjoys interacting with and recognizing OCCA members and believes in the concept of sincere and visibly engaged interaction. The GM/COO is a conduit for information exchange and must be consistent and positive. The need is for a true listener who places great importance on personal interactions with all constituencies of OCCA; gathering and disseminating information and data critically important to help determine the long-term, majority interests and desires within the Association.
- The GM/COO is the primary verbal and written communicator of necessary and important information for members and staff. The ability to convey information in an articulate, well-conceived and properly written manner is of utmost importance.
- The GM/COO recognizes and appropriately adheres to Florida Statutes and laws governing meetings, notifications and other requirements of a homeowners’ association, and is the most knowledgeable resource for clarification and adherence to governing documents.
- The GM/COO understands the value of the latest technologies and trends, as well as the latest and most popular social media applications and their use in today’s world of connecting with members through technology.
- The GM/COO operates successfully and provides solid leadership to the organization during times of crisis such as hurricane preparedness and response.
- The GM/COO attends and coordinates meetings of the Board of Directors and all Association Committees. He or she is viewed as a key thought partner with the board to proactively identify and effectively address all issues of importance to the well-being of OCCA.
- The GM/COO is responsible for setting and maintaining protocols in response to COVID and for the general care, maintenance, and upkeep of the physical plant and facilities to ensure that appropriate monies are available.
- The GM/COO creates and maintains an organizational structure that ensures appropriate, necessary and reasonable distribution of duties and responsibilities; delegating and following up as necessary to ensure that actions and details necessary for success are completed.
- The GM/COO ensures that OCCA operations are managed with exceptional integrity, sound business practices and principles in an honest and forthright manner.
- The GM/COO provides day-to-day oversight on significant strategic and capital projects, as approved by the Board and/or membership.
- The GM/COO recognizes the need to continuously monitor and improve existing member services and introduces new programs and services to enhance overall member satisfaction and the value of residency at OCCA.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Be highly visible and interactive throughout the community, including initially attending all Board, Committee and other meetings to more quickly meet residents and elected and appointed volunteers, learn their needs and expectations and better understand the culture of OCCA.
- Understand history, amenities and services, financials, and residents’ expectations.
- Review the existing employee culture, organizational chart, key staff and present thoughtful recommendations to the Board for structural changes, if any, to elevate the overall service culture.
- Create a yearly performance review system for full-time staff members and define goals and objectives for each.
- Collect, analyze and report data on amenity usage and expenditures. Make recommendations to the Board on long range and strategic planning initiatives.
- Monitor, manage and maintain financials to budget while in a continuous evaluation of its appropriateness to the overall expectations of the Board and community.
- Work closely with the recently hired AGM, who is responsible for elevating service levels, especially in the F & B operation.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Has a minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in a top leadership role in facility and staff management, community association management, resort management or a related business background. In addition, the successful candidate has experience with upscale and environmentally sensitive communities, or destination resorts with top reputations. Significant interaction with the real estate community, city officials and governmental agencies is especially helpful.
- Has significant experience with direct and specific responsibility managing a residential community association. Involvement with a community in an ocean-side environment is desirable.
- Possesses strong general management skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, exceptional member/resident service programming, strategic planning, project management and, most importantly, the ability to consistently achieve goals and objectives.
- Has strong communication and facilitation skills, both written and verbal, with the appropriate presence, desire and ability to interact effectively with diverse, multi-cultural constituencies of members, staff, vendors and other entities who are part of the success of OCCA. Communication with members and staff and engaged personal visibility is very important at OCCA. This includes having sound and confident speaking abilities in front of large groups of residents and other constituencies.
- Has a strong network of industry professionals and resource contacts that cover a wide range of functional skills and disciplines that would benefit OCCA.
- Has a business, creative and entrepreneurial sense for the overall evaluation of programs and services provided at OCCA. He or she recognizes the quality and type of service that the majority of residents (or future majority of residents) expect, and which continue to enhance the value of residency at OCCA.
- Is a person who understands and effectively functions and leads in a non-profit, volunteer board and committee environment. The successful candidate is a strong consensus builder and embodies the behavior and skills needed to be successful in this type of governance model.
- Is a true team builder; a person who embodies the persona of ultimate coach, mentor and motivator; someone who brings out the very best in those around him or her (both staff and other community constituencies) by setting clear goals and expectations, providing consistent feedback and support, and who is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Possesses depth of experience in project management from conception to execution.
- Presents a consummately professional image to the staff, membership, and other constituencies at all times.
- Has strong organizational skills and an obsession with covering the details necessary to consistently achieve high levels of quality, satisfaction and outstanding resident experiences.
- Is a charismatic individual with a sense of style that is commensurately appropriate with the culture and expectations of a discerning membership group.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Is preferably, a college graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration and holds certification in community association leadership such as CAM, CMCA, AMS, PCAM, or someone with significant residential club community or high end hospitality/resort experience and a demonstrated understanding of Florida Chapter 718 and 720 statutes.
An appropriate salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience for the desired level of experience, will be offered. OCCA offers an excellent performance bonus and benefit package, along with the typical professional association membership and other professional benefits.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful cover letter of interest and alignment with the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Steve Powel, President and the Board of Directors at The Ocean Club Key Biscayne, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why The Ocean Club Key Biscayne and the Miami, Florida area will be beneficial to both you and the Club if selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible but no later than Friday, February 19, 2021. Interviews will occur in March with a selection shortly thereafter.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter – Ocean Club”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executive:
Kurt D. Kuebler, CCM Partner - KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE