| CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER PROFILE:
BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB
THE CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER OPPORTUNITY AT BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB
An amazing opportunity exists for candidates with a successful track-record of leadership and exceptional financial operations management in private clubs. We are conducting the Chief Financial Officer search for Brae Burn Country Club, a prestigious member-owned club in Purchase, New York which is in Westchester County and a relatively short commute to New York City. This is an opportunity to serve as the right hand to the COO/General Manager, with a focus on creating value and ensuring financial strength and operational efficiency.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB
Located in the heart of New York’s prestigious Westchester County, Brae Burn Country Club has been a cherished part of the community since its founding in 1964. Today, its beautifully renovated interiors and elegantly landscaped grounds continue to offer a setting of unparalleled grace for private and corporate events as well as a rich array of activities for members.
In addition to an active food and beverage program, the club offers a championship, 18-hole golf course with a history of hosting multiple tournaments including the multiple Westchester Opens and local and sectional U.S. Open qualifying tournaments. The club also has 11 Har-Tru tennis courts, an expansive pool overlooking the golf course and a state-of-the-art fitness center.
BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB MISSION STATEMENT
“To create a home away from home for the members and guests.”
BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB WEBSITE: www.braeburncc.org
- 311 members
- $9.5 Gross annual Income
- 57 is the average member age
- 160 total employees in season
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER OVERVIEW
Direct the financial operations of the club. Supervise the accounting functions and directly assist the Chief Operating Officer/GM on all strategic matters relating to budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting needs and internal control. Develop policies to control and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records; develop, establish and administer procedures and systems pertaining to financial matters. Prepare financial statements, forecasts and analyses for all administrative and managerial functions. Maintain all accounting records; develop, analyze and interpret statistical and accounting information. Evaluate operating results for costs, revenues, budgets, policies of operation, trends and increased profit possibilities. Serve as liaison to the finance committee. Supervise the staffing, scheduling, training and professional development of department members.
The Chief Financial Officer reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer/GM, and supervises the Accounts Payable Clerk, the Accounts Receivable Clerk and the Admin Office Staff.
- Always convey a professional attitude and demeanor towards Club and team members.
- Always treat Club and team members with the utmost respect and dignity.
- Always maintain a positive attitude and look for positive outcomes in all opportunities.
- Embodies the persona of ultimate coach and motivator. Must be able to bring out the best in those around him/her by setting clear goals and expectations, providing consistent feedback and support, and who is respectful and professional in all interpersonal dealings.
- Maintain open channels of communication and be receptive to all departments and staff members.
- Write effectively and concisely.
- Convey oral messages clearly and succinctly.
- Actively participate in all meetings.
- Ensure that the information needed to proficiently operate the club is disseminated and understood.
- Exhibit sound time management and organizational skills.
- Ensure the supplies needed to operate are properly stocked.
- Produce financial reports in a timely manner according to schedule.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial packets for monthly Finance Committee meetings.
- Participate in leading the annual budgeting process with department leaders.
- Follow all club policies and procedures as outlined in the handbook.
- Ensure all departments are compliant with state/local/federal laws and that workplaces are safe.
- Responsible for Brae Burn Country Club finance department including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and all associated reporting.
- Directs or prepares the monthly trial balance and resulting financial statements for the club, including the income statement, balance sheet and statement of changes in financial condition, along with required supporting schedules and other data necessary for financial reports and records.
- Prepares operating budgets and financial forecasts in coordination with the various committees, departments and Chief Operating Officer/GM analyzes financial information, monitors budgeted versus actual expenditures and advises management about variances and their potential causes; recommends corrective actions to help assure that budget goals are met.
- Reconciles monthly ledgers including receivables, payables, bank and other asset accounts, and wage accounts.
- Prepares accounting reports as necessary and appropriate for dissemination to the board of directors, executive committee and other club committees.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of applicable federal, state and local tax returns.
- Formulates, receives and recommends policy proposals relating to accounting and auditing, the budget, revenue and cost control procedures, preparation and payment of payrolls, tax matters, compilation of statistics and office methods and procedures.
- Manages and conducts internal auditing programs to help assure that records are accurately maintained and that established policies and practices are satisfactorily and consistently followed.
- Works with the club’s external auditors to assure that procedures are consistent with club policies.
- Directs, may participate in and verifies the taking of inventories for beverages, food, supplies, equipment, furnishings and other club assets.
- Verifies that all insurance records for club property are properly maintained.
- Informs and advises other department heads about the financial aspects of their responsibilities.
- Selects, trains, supervises, schedules and evaluates accounting staff.
- Attends monthly board, finance committee and other meetings as required.
- Oversees member billing and collection procedures.
- Compiles, approves and maintains credit applications for vendors.
- Maintains fixed asset ledgers and prepares depreciation schedules for monthly entries.
- Audits all cash and charge expenditures.
- Safeguards all funds in bank accounts; assures that revenues are properly and correctly deposited and supervises the drawing of all checks.
- Monitors collection of past due accounts advises Chief Operating Officer/GM and board when difficult situations may arise.
- Interacts with the club’s external accounting firm and its auditors as necessary.
- Monitors accounts receivable and acts according to established club policies and procedures.
- Prepares a full report of the year’s financial operations for presentation at the annual meeting.
- Works with the Chief Operating Officer/GM and department heads to plan and manage capital budgets and cash flow statements.
- Manages, reviews, suggests and monitors changes in the automated financial management and accounting system.
- Reconciles bank statements.
- Maintains necessary procedures for confidentiality relating to club and employee issues.
- Negotiates and acquires property and casualty insurance to protect the club’s assets.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience supervising a staff/team of accountants, bookkeepers, and HR/payroll professionals.
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as, within a team environment.
- Demonstrated strong organization skills, attention to detail and ability to adapt to various situations/needs quickly.
- Demonstrated strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment.
- Strong proficiency in JONAS club software for finance and accounting
- Team-oriented, easy to work with, and good-humored.
- Experience working through financial intricacies of club renovations a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; preferably with concentration in business or administration with accounting major or minor and coursework in financial analysis and auditing.
- Five to seven years of professional accounting experience with at least three of those years at the Controller level or equivalent in a club operation.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent benefits package including professional development.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter, in that order, using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful cover letter of interest and alignment with the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Stuart O’Connor, General Manager/COO of Brae Burn Country Club, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Brae Burn Country Club and the Purchase, NY area will be beneficial to you, your family and the Club if selected.
You must apply for this role as soon as possible but no later than Friday, February 5, 2021. Interviews will occur in February with a selection before the end of the month.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter – BBCC”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Len Simard, Search Executive
Michelle A. Riklan, Search Executive