| DIRECTOR OF FOOD AND BEVERAGE PROFILE:
THE PATTERSON CLUB
THE DIRECTOR OF FOOD AND BEVERAGE (DFB) OPPORTUNITY AT THE PATTERSON CLUB
A special opportunity exists for candidates with a successful track-record of leadership and high-quality food and beverage operations management in private clubs or high-end establishments in the hospitality industry. We are conducting the Director of Food and Beverage (DFB) search for The Patterson Club in Fairfield, CT. The successful candidate will be an integral part of a high-performing team at a club recognized for its innovations, quality work environment and focus on continually ‘raising the bar’ for its members and staff.
The primary focus of the role is on the overall member and guest experienc through all food and beverage offerings including a la carte, banquet and member functions, which is of utmost importance to the fabric of the Club.
The ability to consistently “look forward” in planning, innovations, organization, financial business management decisions and overall departmental leadership is a critical skill set required for success in this position. Equally important is the ability to intuitively embrace the need to be visible and highly interactive with the members and staff; leadership in this area begins and ends with approachability and accessibility.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
ABOUT THE PATTERSON CLUB
In 1929, General Electric Club employees first organized The Patterson Club as a Dining and Social Club in downtown Bridgeport and on June 20, 1930, it was incorporated. Its name was derived from Mr. C. E. Patterson, a Vice President and General Manager of G.E.
The Patterson Club, now located in the Greenfield Hill section of Fairfield, Connecticut, is situated on 173 rolling acres. The gracious Clubhouse was once the old farm home of the Franklin Banks family and later the Charleton H. Palmer family. The championship golf course was designed by Robert Trent Jones and rated among the finest in the state. The Patterson Club members enjoy 7 Har-Tru tennis courts, five of which are lighted, 5 brand new state of the art paddle courts, Pro Shop and a Paddle Hut. In addition, Patterson’s pool facilities offer something for everyone including a 25-meter heated swimming pool, a separate diving area with both 1- and 3-meter boards and a kiddie pool.
Dining at the Patterson Club offers everything from a casual lunch after golf, to a more formal dinner with close friends or family to a variety of social events for everyone to enjoy as the Club is one of the finest venues to hold an event; large or small.
Fairfield, Connecticut, only 50 miles from New York City has been consistently ranked in the top 100 in CNN/Money Magazine’s best towns in which to live. It is a charming and thriving town featuring five miles of shoreline on the Long Island Sound. Fairfield has five town beaches, two universities, many parks and ball fields, two public golf courses, and a vibrant array of restaurants and stores. Family-oriented Fairfield also has top-notch, high performing public schools with rich academic programs.
THE PATTERSON CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
THE PATTERSON CLUB WEBSITE: thepattersonclub.com
- 366 Members (All Categories)
- $62,500 Initiation Fee
- 4.2M Annual Dues Volume
- $8M Gross Volume (including capital revenues 10.5M)
- $2M F&B Volume, 50% à la Carte/ 50% Banquet and Events
- 13 Standing Committees
- 13 Board members, three-year terms
- 54 Average age of members
DIRECTOR OF FOOD AND BEVERAGE (DFB) POSITION OVERVIEW
The Director of Food and Beverage (DFB) is ultimateley responsible for all club property food and beverage service operations daily, including its activities, dining options, financial success and relationships between club members, guests, and employees. Being the "public face" of these operations with a hands-on approach and an understanding that full "on-the-floor" member and staff engement is critical to success in the position. The DFB consistently provides superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the club's membership and their guests. This position works closely with, and reports to the General Manager. The relationship with the executive chef and management team is particularly important to this position, ensuring collaborative and harmonious relationship between front and back of house operations.
THE DIRECTOR OF FOOD AND BEVERAGE WILL:
- Be the primary coordinator of food and beverage department budgeting, hiring, training, beverage menu development, orientations and creating a culture of teamwork, and the supervision of Restaurant, Event/Banquet and Beverage Managers and staff to ensure everything is done in accordance with approved Club policies and is compliant with governmental regulations.
- Establish Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and benchmark progress against these regularly.
- Develop and monitor the F&B budget and procedures to provide direction and controls for food and beverage operations and costs; implement corrective procedures as necessary to help ensure that budget goals are attained.
- Clearly understand the metrics for successful attainment of financial goals and objectives in F&B operations, and consistently review these expectations with his or her direct reports to ensure understanding and ‘buy-in’ from those contributing to their attainment.
- Consistently monitor payroll and labor resource allocations to ensure they are in line with financial forecasting and goals.
- Ensure effective and efficient staffing and scheduling for all facilities and functions while balancing financial objectives with member satisfaction goals.
- Oversee data management including dining reservations, covers and average check, menu mix, menu engineering, P&L and Membership satisfaction.
- Be responsible for the management of all alcoholic beverage inventories and purchases.
- Have a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness, while maintaining quality and integrity of the department’s business plan.
Operations and Membership:
- Offer effective leadership and direction for managers and staff in the F&B department.
- Establish and maintain respectful rapport with F&B managers and all department heads at The Patterson Club.
- Oversee the Executive Chef and kitchen management.
- Oversee the Event Coordinator and Manager and oversee all event bookings and execution.
- Be a positive and enthusiastic motivator for all F&B personnel.
- Coach and mentor the Executive Chef, Restaurant Manager, Bar Manager, Event Coordinator, and Event Manager.
- Be a collaborative team player who is willing to be “hands on” when necessary but understands when to step back and lead the team.
- Maintain a “run to the fire” mentality in operations oversight.
- Ensure associates clearly understand performance expectations and assigned tasks are reasonable, well-conceived and appropriately conveyed. Provide resources necessary to allow employees to perform their jobs effectively and be fair and firm in adherence to club policy and procedure.
- Recommend, monitor and manage policies, operating procedures and staffing for all F & B areas; recognize the needs and consistently perform to high levels of service in each of these operating areas.
- Professional and extensive knowledge of food, beverage and luxury service.
- Maintain and advance the overall beverage program with a focus on utilizing the Club wine cellar more effectively and enhancing cocktail, beverage and beer programing by training the food and beverage team to be confident and knowledgeable in their approach to selling, serving and speaking to members and their guests. Establish and uphold expectations for dress, decorum and other service standards and consistently monitor for adherence.
Human Resource Management:
- Have a heart for hospitality and appreciation of the history and tradition of The Patterson Club and local area.
- Take personal ownership of his or her area of responsibility, with special attention to the physical plant and overall appearance of the operation and understand the need to be consistently “member ready” in both appearance and service.
- Establish where needed, standard operating procedures and processes for all dining areas.
- Clearly understand logistics of banquet operations amidst other food and beverage offerings, and develop and utilize systems for consistency and quality in all banquet events.
- Work in coordination with other department leaders to ensure consistent standards result in high member satisfaction.
- Work with the House Committee and when appropriate the Board of Directors in ensuring maximum member satisfaction.
- Be responsive to members’ requests for menu selections, event planning, etc., and strive to find creative ways to accommodate reasonable requests; have a belief in a service philosophy of “the answer is ‘yes,’ what is the question?”
- Have a strong and highly visible and respectful presence with the membership, be an exceptional communicator, have adroit interpersonal skills, and the maturity to instinctively know how to treat members and guests with a high-level of service. He or she must be able to communicate these expectations to a staff with diverse backgrounds and motivate them positively to understand and execute those expectations.
- Oversee all dining areas to ensure smooth and consistent experience commonality in all operations, high levels of member and guest satisfaction, quality food products and exemplary service.
- Participate in marketing/communication programs to increase dining room, lounge, banquet and general participation in F & B related activities.
- Oversee all banquets and social functions, including member and member sponsored events. Establish budgeted and actual P&Ls for each banquet and event with the ability to communicate profit & loss expectations and targets.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to facilitate a strong relationship between kitchen, dining outlets and staff.
- Hold weekly staff meetings with direct reports to keep them informed of necessary and relevant activities and expectations at the Club. Assist in planning and be responsible for ensuring special club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Ensure adherence to, and compliance with, all health, safety, liquor consumption, and all other food and beverage regulations. Keep current on all matters pertaining to the food and beverage industry.
- Be an active and dynamic recruiter of team members and someone who inherently enjoys developing and building his/her team and leading them to significant, positive membership satisfaction outcomes.
- Involve associates in the decision-making process of how ‘work gets done’ and creates a work environment people want to come to and participate every day.
- Have a passion and aptitude for teaching and training for all food service personnel, working, as necessary, with the staff directly responsible for operations.
- Be a focused and consistent evaluator of personnel, ensuring that standards of conduct and delivery are met; this includes oversight of high standards of appearance, hospitality, service, and cleanliness of the clubhouse facilities.
- Establish and consistently enhance operating standards for personnel in areas of responsibility and consistently evaluate knowledge, understanding and execution to these high standards.
- Conduct and/or oversee training programs for food service personnel on various issues including service techniques, knowledge of menu items and daily specials, sanitation, team building and conflict resolution; regularly test and evaluate knowledge and understanding of these expectations.
- Ensure that an effective orientation and onboarding program exists in all areas of responsibility, along with consistent professional development and training.
- Restaurant Manager
- Bar Manager
- Event Coordinator
- Banquet Manager
To be successful in this job, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Very strong F&B skills are necessary, as is an intuitively respectful style and mentoring/nurturing/developing approach to staff and team. The Patterson Club is a high expectation club operation with multiple operating outlets, events and activities occurring simultaneously; the ability to be able to manage and lead in such an environment in an organized, thoughtful manner is critically important.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Hospitality Management or related fields is helpful, plus a minimum of 4 years of experience in a high-volume hotel, restaurant or club operation, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience. Experience with Jonas Encore is a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Patterson Club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefits package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment, clearly articulating your “fit” with the profile and the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary.
Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Matthew Dossey, GM/COO of The Patterson Club 1118 Cross Highway , Fairfield, CT 06824 and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why The Patterson Club in Fairfield, CT will likely be a “fit” to you, your family and the Club if selected.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter THE PATTERSON CLUB”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
If you have any questions, please email Katy Eliades: Katy@kkandw.com
Lead Search Executives:
Search and Consulting Executive, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE
Consulting and Search Executive, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE