DIRECTOR OF GOLF OPERATIONS PROFILE:
THE LANDINGS CLUB
DIRECTOR OF GOLF OPERATIONS AT THE LANDINGS CLUB
The Landings Club (Landings or Club) on Skidaway Island, Georgia is a private community of gracious residences, world class amenities and a superb, club lifestyle-just minutes from the vibrant, culturally rich, historic city of Savannah. The Landings Club is not a country club or a retirement home–– it is a community.
The Landings Club is looking for a Director of Golf Operations (DOGO) to lead this active and diverse membership. The new Director should be the quintessential professional in every aspect and will be the true ambassador of golf for the Club. Ensuring a consistently positive experience for members and guests is consistent throughout the multi-course community, and often exceeds expectation is job one. Unique to this role is that it is responsible to oversee and coordinate all golf operations, including agronomic efforts, and being highly collaborative with all other key and supporting department endeavors.
The new DOGO will ensure the goals of both the department and the Club are being met through proactive leadership and full‐scope management of the department, clearly providing high energy, motivated and ‘lead by example’ behavior and focused on results. Paying attention to all the details that contribute to overall success of the golf operation is a key success factor and a necessary, intuitive style of the successful next Director. As with most clubs around the country, members of The Landings expect a higher and more consistent experience as amenities are improved or expanded, and as newer, younger members move in and join the Club.
The Landings is one of the largest private club operations in America and the leader in this role is part of the key leadership executive team. The new DOGO is expected to be a catalyst to ensure relevance, innovation, and strategic leadership not only in his/her department, but within the organization as a whole. Combining that expectation with the location being one of the most desired in the country, this role is for those golf professionals who have clearly achieved consistent and verifiable success in their careers and view this as the pinnacle of an already proven employment history. It is imperative that the new DOGO is highly and naturally proactive in his/her leadership style and efforts and expects similar styles from his/her teams.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
THE LANDINGS CLUB
Located on a 17.9 square mile island just 12 miles from historic downtown Savannah, Georgia, The Landings Club is situated on a 6,300-acre island is home to retirees and families of all ages, where a premier wellness center, two deep water marinas, four distinct clubhouses, six championship golf courses and thirty-one tennis courts are all just a golf cart ride away. The natural beauty of the island combined with modern amenities and the closeness of the city makes The Landings Club an ideal place to live and work.
The Club has been recently designated as a Certified Sustainable Community by Audubon International. This gated golf-centric community is privately owned and operated by an elected Board of Governors. The Landings Club is recognized as one of “America’s Healthiest Clubs” and a “Distinguished Emerald Clubs of the World.”
The resort-style amenities and luxurious experiences is the perfect environment for families who want their kids to experience the island life, empty-nesters who want to start doing more with their days, and active seniors looking for the best place to retire.
There is currently in place a $25M three-phase, two-year project capital plan which includes the following:
THE LANDINGS CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
- Marshwood – A new 25,000 square foot clubhouse with terraces for outdoor dining, a new zero-entry pool complex, and new cabana bar.
- Franklin Creek Sports Campus – A new 4,500 square foot fast casual dining facility, new pickleball courts, new players’ lounge, new lighted bocce courts, pool enhancements, relocated tennis court.
- Oakridge Fitness Center – An expansion/renovation plan for additional space for cardio and strength training, including new family changing area, expanded child care facility, and a new group exercise studio.
The Landings Club Website: www.thelandings.com
- At present, there are approximately: 900 Social/House, 1450 Golf, and 500 Tennis members, totaling nearly 3,000 member families in all.
- Four full-service clubhouses with six dining venues.
- Six golf courses supporting 170,000-180,000 rounds of golf annually. There are two Palmer designed courses, two Hills designs, one Byrd and one Fazio design with multiple range and practice areas.
- Two marinas
- The Club employs more than 350-400 FTEs in all departments.
- The tennis facility comprises 31 Har-Tru tennis courts (11 lighted), 4 ground oyster shell bocce ball courts, 4 pickleball courts, 2 dedicated platform tennis courts, and an innovative fitness and wellness center.
- Three outdoor pools, two indoor pools offering kid-centric slides, lap pools, water aerobics, pool bar, spa, and Resort Pool Complex.
- Gross revenues of approximately $34.7M
- Golf operations generate over $2.0M in gross revenues annually, and this role is responsible for over $7.0M in P & L
- Full member initiation fee is $35,000 with dues of $9,216, plus certain fees and capital assessment
- Food and Beverage revenues are approximately $10.7 million.
- There are nine members of the governing Board, each serving three year terms. Committees include: Finance, House, Court Sports, Golf and Greens, HR, Governance, Strategic Planning, Membership, Marketing and Communications and Wellness/Aquatics.
- The Club uses Northstar for its POS system and Chelsea for golf tee time scheduling
- Approximately 90% of the golf membership owns and uses private carts; there are approximately 120 club leased carts
- The average age of Club Members is approximately 67 years old and trending downward
DIRECTOR OF GOLF OPERATIONS POSITION OVERVIEW
The DOGO is clearly the ‘face’ of golf in this most important and active club amenity. In doing so, he or she will be a proactive ambassador of hospitality and member engagement, committed to service excellence for both members and guests, but also to creating a positively supportive work environment as well. The golf experience is one of the strongest ‘drivers’ of member recruitment, retention and satisfaction at The Landings Club, and as such needs a leader who is clearly adept at developing a plan for success, communicating to necessary constituencies (staff, members, management team, etc.) and executing upon it once in effect. Active involvement with women, men’s and junior golf groups is a critical success factor as is his/her naturally assertive hospitality approach, which is expected to be emulated by the rest of The Landings Club golf operational team.
The DOGO is the true leader of all golf operation at The Landings Club and is expected to provide day-to-day operation guidance to these departments under a strong performance management system, working in conjunction with the Executive Director and key other department leaders including most significantly, the Director of Golf Operations Course Operations, as it relates to planning, scheduling, special events, and implementation of Club functions. The DOGO works closely with the Golf and Greens Committee, but their focus is on strategic goals and evaluation, not day-to-day operations, so the DOGO must be capable of making thoughtful, necessary, sometimes difficult decisions, considering what is in the overall best interests of the Club while meeting the success factors of the role, as determined in conjunction with the Executive Director.
The Director of Golf Operations at The Landings Club is expected to be the consummate professional, never losing sight of the primary objective of providing an exceptional golf experience for all the Club’s members, while at the same time growing the game and its enjoyment. Amongst many key competencies, a successful candidate needs to demonstrate the following:
KEY PRIORITIES FOR SUCCESSFUL TRANSITIONING
- A golf professional that recognizes what a premier member and guest golf experience means, and can continually evaluate, enhance, and direct others to achieve that vision in a positive, energized, and intuitive manner. Being excellent in day to day operations management is Job #1 for the new DOGO.
- A service minded leader who is naturally focused on the details as well as a continuous evolution to enhance and personalize service delivery to members and their guests, and who can instill those same virtues in his/her team.
- Proven follow through skills and a history of responsiveness and proactive leadership, as well as an intuitive style of ‘continuous evolution to excellence’ in all that he/she does, as well as the ability to instill that style in his/her team.
- Have experience in a multi-course operation where organization, appropriate visibility and engagement, and setting consistent standards throughout the overall golf operation has been achieved.
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative manner with the Executive Director and other Department Heads and provide thoughtful input and leadership to the Golf and Greens Committee.
- Someone who is a hardworking, lead-by-example and very hands on professional who sets clear accountabilities, provides thoughtful and regular feedback to staff members, recognizes the responsibility he or she must develop and mentor those who support him/her, and creates and leads a culture around golf operations and golf and agronomic staff development.
- Someone who has significant experience and competencies in organizing and managing golf events and outings, as well as leading significant budget development and oversight.
- An excellent merchandiser who leads a team to build upon the Member-owned golf shop retail program, and who instills a passion in the team to build on sales and personalization of services in the shop.
- Someone who works closely with the two Golf Course Superintendents, who report to him or her, in coordinating course setup for events and scheduled maintenance, advocating for their needs and success. Additionally, is proactive and leads a strong and supportive communications process about conditions, course plans, etc., with the membership.
- A proven ‘leader’ with multidimensional talent base encompassing a multitude of critical areas necessary for success, including but not limited to: management and coaching, staff development, merchandising, communication skills, interpersonal skills, drive, integrity and diplomacy.
- Humility coupled with dynamic professionalism; ideally, someone who is able to deliver both positive and negative news in a respectful, well-reasoned manner.
- A confident, diplomatic and competent professional who is a ‘doer’ and take-charge person and who recognizes the importance of accountability. A creative problem solver who commands respect because of the way he or she interacts with others and lives up to his/her word and confidently puts forth recommendations to the Executive Director, fellow department heads, staff, and Committee members.
- Personally capable and comfortable with technology and incorporates its use, as appropriate in his/her everyday role, while never losing sight of the need for ‘high touch’ relations with members and guests.
- An individual who possesses a highly professional style and presence, in addition to personal and professional integrity.
- A creative programmer of innovative events and activities, who is further able to convey those ideas to others for support and ‘buy in.’
- Possessive of strong organizational skills and an obsession with ‘all things golf,’ covering the details necessary to consistently achieve high levels of quality, member and staff satisfaction and outstanding member experiences.
Anticipating a late summer/early fall 2019 start, the new Director of Golf Operations will need to focus on and recognize the following expectations:
- Develop a keen and deep understanding of The Landings Club culture; and what needs to be accomplished to enhance or develop areas to support the premier club experience.
- Conduct a thorough review of the organization chart for golf operations with recommendations for structural changes thoughtfully presented to the Executive Director. This includes the agronomic side of operations and the coordination with other key departments and directors. Create a ‘state of operations’ report with proactive recommendations for improvements and enhancements.
- Develop a strong recruiting and staffing model in collaboration with the HR Director to include a large network of other PGA Professionals with whom a pipeline of seasonal or year-round staff can be shared or recruited.
- Ensure that scheduled events are well planned, properly, and effectively communicated and coordinated with all necessary constituencies.
- Be exceptionally ‘front facing’ and quickly get to know all the groups and key contributors to The Landings overall success and experience culture.
- Review and understand the full scope of merchandising and its opportunities in both hard and soft goods areas to ensure a strong understanding of member expectations in these areas is accomplished.
- Create and perpetuate a high level of staff morale and engagement through a strong mentor program to help to continue to develop the skills and capabilities of the staff. Be the coach who motivates his or her team to higher standards and the consistent execution of quality service standards.
Successful candidates for this role must be able to provide confidence that the following qualifications are or will be in alignment with the Club’s desires:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- Be a current Director of Golf Operations or Head Golf Professional with a minimum of five (5) years of experience from a recognizable, well-regarded club or resort WITH multi-course experience.
- Clearly and verifiably able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously; highly organized and able to instill standards and organization in all aspects of the operation he/she oversees.
- Possessive of clearly developed communication skills, including verifiable strengths in responsiveness, diplomacy, always-respectful delivery, fundamental gravitas, and strong personal presence. Someone who is known for being accountable, taking ownership and having a high-level ability to effectively interact and communicate, both in writing and in-person in a highly professional and appropriate manner.
- Be referenced as leading by example in all that he or she does in his/her golf operation; essentially someone who recognizes that the golf culture is started with the appropriate and necessary tone at the top of the organizational chart. This includes being a good neighbor with other local quality clubs and golf professionals, always recognizing the ambassador role one plays.
- Having verifiable strengths and a history of attracting and building high performance operational teams, being highly visible and interactive with members, and being a strong supporter of fellow senior staff.
- A strong and passionate leader with a proven track record of providing “Top 100”- level services in a multiple hole, member-owned club environment, and with a personality that exemplifies the “Landings Club Experience” in golf operations.
- A personable individual with a sense of humor and style that is commensurately appropriate with the culture and expectations of a friendly, fun and supportive membership group and team of associates.
- On a verifiable, positive career track, unblemished by inappropriate behavior of any sort that would be potentially detrimental or embarrassing to the membership of The Landings Club. Someone who has been a “difference maker” wherever he or she has been in the past.
- An intuitive, personable style resulting in a sincere and visibly engaged presence with Members, Guests and Staff.
- Fundamental understanding of what constitutes a ‘premier club experience,’ and the proven ability to execute to that level.
- A history of being a proactive member of the management team. Proven to be able to generate and share ideas on improved club operations, cost efficiencies, projects and programs.
- Be recognized for being innovative, creative, and most importantly, proactive in developing and enhancing the overall golf programming and experience at his/her present club.
- Possessing excellent business acumen, being able to clearly outline his/her history of managing the financial aspects and outcomes of his/her operation. Goal setting, achieving objectives and process are critical success factors in this role, as is the ability to define and maintain high level standards, develop, and deliver an exceptional merchandising program, while truly understanding the value of the Brand.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
Preferably, a college degree, from a four-year university or a highly regarded PGM program. Class “A” status and membership in the PGA of America.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical senior staff benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package including PGA membership.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment, clearly articulating your “fit” with the profile and the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Steven Freund, Executive Director, and The Landings Club Search Committee, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why The Landings Club and the Savannah, Georgia area will likely be a fit for you, your family and the Club if selected.
Expressions of interest in this manner should be conveyed to our Firm no later than June 15, 2019. Candidate selections will occur in mid-June and first interviews are expected to occur in early July, final selections will likely be made in late July with the successfully selected candidate starting around Labor Day.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter visit this page.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kurt D. Kuebler, CCM
Partner, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE
561-747-5213 – Jupiter, FL