DIRECTOR OF GOLF PROFILE:
WOODFIELD COUNTRY CLUB
BOCA RATON, FL
DIRECTOR OF GOLF AT WOODFIELD COUNTRY CLUB
Woodfield Country Club (WCC or Woodfield) in the golfing mecca of Palm Beach County, Florida is looking for a Director of Golf (DOG) to lead this active young member filled club. The new Director at Woodfield should be the quintessential professional in every aspect and will be the true ambassador of golf for the Club. Ensuring a consistently positive experience for members and guests that exceeds expectation is job one for the new Director.
Historically, Woodfield has experienced a high level of member satisfaction and the new leader will continue to improve upon the well-established fundamentals. The Director will ensure the goals of both the department and the Club are being met through proactive leadership and full‐scope management of the department. Clearly paying attention to all the details that contribute to overall success is a key success factor and a necessary intuitive style of the successful next Director.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
WOODFIELD COUNTRY CLUB
Located in Boca Raton, Florida, Woodfield's resort-style Club, with its magnificent grounds and central location in the community, provides easy access for residents. The Club is a family-oriented full-service private equity country club. The Club’s commitment is to create a sense of community among its members by providing the highest quality goods, services, and facilities for enjoyment at all levels.
The 830-acre gated site has 20 individual neighborhoods and was designed so that each community has its own identity, separated from its neighbor by sparkling lakes and the meandering holes of the Joe Lee designed championship course, which was redesigned by Bob Cupp in 2002. The dynamic layout features rolling terrain, manicured fairways, and smaller greens. With an overall yardage of 7,000 yards from the championship tee and a spectacular water feature to negotiate on the approach to the final hole, the course will provide lasting memories for players of all levels. A course renovation is planned within the next year and the Club is working with highly regarded nationally recognized, but locally based course architect Kipp Schulties.
With an active membership, the Men’s, and Ladies’ Leagues average 80-100 players weekly and a golf calendar that is filled with tournaments and events all year long.
Club amenities include an 18-hole championship golf course, a nationally recognized tennis program with 20 courts, an expansive lagoon-style swimming pool complex, along with a comprehensive fitness center, spa/salon, retail operations and much more. A dedicated Children’s Clubhouse offers a Game Room for teens and Kids Korner playroom for youngsters. The newly renovated 97,000 square foot Clubhouse offers six restaurants that serve up everything from poolside bites and family fare to elaborate buffets and elegant dinners, men's and ladies' card rooms, banquet and lounge features, a comprehensive golf center, along with exclusive ballroom and meeting spaces.
“Woodfield Country Club provides a dynamic, family-friendly lifestyle focused on fun and wellness that enables our members, their families and guests to thrive, while enjoying exceptional service delivered by a professional and motivated employee team.”
WOODFIELD COUNTRY CLUB BY THE NUMBERS
CLUBS CORE VALUES
- At present, there are approximately 1,272 memberships in all categories
- Equity - $45,000 full equity member
- Non-Refundable initiation - $40,000 full equity member
- Annual Full Member Dues - $17,694
- Annual Full Capital Dues - $2,058
- Approximately 35,000 golf rounds are played annually
- The Director of Golf is a full time, year-round role with considerable activity in the summer months, unlike many South Florida clubs
- Golf Operation revenue is projected over $1.79M with over $400,000 in gross shop sales
- The Club is organized as a 501(c)(7) and is a not for profit corporation
- The average age of the members is the lowest in South Florida with overall Club average age of 49 years, and 55 for golf members
Woodfield Country Club Website: www.woodfield.org
- Be responsive to the Membership.
- Improve Quality Service and Programs.
- Control Increases in Operating Costs.
- Maintain Existing Assets in First Class Condition.
- Keep Membership Informed on Club Operations
- Continue to Enhance and Evolve the Club’s Long-Range Plan & Strategic Plan.
- Dedicate the appropriate resources to attract and retain a high-quality labor force consistent with service expectations.
DIRECTOR OF GOLF POSITION OVERVIEW
The Director of Golf at Woodfield Country Club is expected to be the consummate professional, never losing sight of the primary objective of providing an exceptional golf experience for all the Club’s members, while at the same time growing the game and its enjoyment. Amongst many key competencies, a successful candidate needs to demonstrate the following:
KEY PRIORITIES FOR SUCCESSFUL TRANSITIONING
- A golf professional that recognizes what a premier member and guest golf experience means, and can continually evaluate, enhance, and direct others to achieve that vision in a positive, energized, and intuitive manner.
- An outstanding communicator; current and innovative in engaging all member constituencies to participate and further enjoy the game.
- A service minded leader who is naturally focused on the details as well as a continuous evolution to enhance and personalize service delivery to members and their guests, and who can instill those same virtues in his/her team.
- A naturally energized personality with high levels of integrity, pragmatism, progressiveness, and levelheadedness with a presence that conveys leadership, trust, and confidence.
- Someone who understands merchandising and what members desire from their Golf Shop, and can provide a premier experience inside and out in all things golf.
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative manner with the GM/COO and other Department Heads and provide thoughtful input and leadership to the Golf Committee.
- Someone who is a hardworking, lead-by-example and very hands on professional who sets clear accountabilities, provides thoughtful and regular feedback to staff members, recognizes the responsibility he/she must develop and mentor those who support him/her, and creates and leads a culture around golf operations and golf staff development.
- Someone who has significant experience and competencies in organizing and managing golf events and outings.
- An outstanding teacher who recognizes that growing the game is of critical importance.
- An engaging and proactive leader who recognizes and epitomizes his/her role in actively leading and positively interacting with all demographic constituencies within Woodfield.
- An excellent merchandiser who leads a team to build upon the Member-owned golf shop retail program, and who instills a passion in the team to build on sales and personalization of services in the shop.
- Someone who works closely with the course superintendent in coordinating course setup for events and scheduled maintenance, who demonstrates a strong team player leadership role and provides supportive communications about conditions, course plans, etc., with the membership.
Anticipating a late summer 2019 start, the new Director of Golf will need to focus on and recognize the following expectations:
- Develop a keen and deep understanding of Woodfield Country Club culture; and what needs to be accomplished to enhance or develop areas to support the premier club experience.
- In addition to planning for the impending course renovation, review the staff and golf/support areas operating model, team members in those roles and ensure that both pre and post renovation expectations are met to continually enhance the member and staff experience at WCC.
- Develop a strong recruiting and staffing model in collaboration with the HR Director to include a large network of other PGA Professionals with whom a pipeline of seasonal or year-round staff can be shared or recruited.
- Ensure that scheduled events are well planned, properly, and effectively communicated and coordinated with all necessary constituencies.
- Be exceptionally ‘front facing’ and quickly get to know all the groups and key contributors to WCC’s overall success and experience culture.
- Dig into the overall details necessary to be in place and/or implemented and enhanced to create a consistently high performing operation and team.
- Review and understand the full scope of merchandising and its opportunities in both hard and soft goods areas to ensure a strong understanding of member expectations in these areas is accomplished.
- Create and perpetuate a high level of staff morale and engagement through a strong mentor program to help to continue to develop the skills and capabilities of the staff. Be the coach who motivates his or her team to higher standards and the consistent execution of quality service standards.
- Evaluate the Junior Golf program and experience, planning on making it the premier program of its kind in the South Florida market. Additionally, ensure that all other demographics of membership and playing abilities are well covered with programming and relevancy.
- Focus on pace of play ensuring that it is appropriate for the rating of the course and expectations of the membership.
Successful candidates for this role must be able to provide confidence that the following qualifications are or will be in alignment with the Club’s desires:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- Be a current Director of Golf or Head Golf Professional with a minimum of five (5) years of experience from a recognizable, well-regarded club. Most importantly, have the ability and experience to both describe and deliver a premier member and guest golf experience based on experience and history in such environments.
- Possessive of clearly developed communication skills, including verifiable strengths in responsiveness, diplomacy, always-respectful delivery, fundamental gravitas, and strong personal presence. Someone who is known for being accountable, taking ownership and having a high-level ability to effectively interact and communicate, both in writing and in-person in a highly professional and appropriate manner.
- Experience working in a similar private club environment vs. resort golf or daily fee environments.
- Possessive of a strong game; expectations are that you are an exceptional player as well as having all the other key attributes noted herein.
- Having verifiable strengths and a history of attracting and building high performance operational teams, being highly visible and interactive with members, and being a strong supporter of fellow senior staff.
- A verifiable history of setting and maintaining strong and relevant standards of performance for both himself/herself and the team he or she leads.
- Be recognized for being innovative, creative, and most importantly, proactive in developing and enhancing the overall golf programming and experience at his/her present club.
- Be referenced as leading by example in all that he/she does in his/her golf operation; essentially someone who recognizes that the golf culture is started with the appropriate and necessary tone at the top of the organizational chart. This includes being a good neighbor with other local quality clubs and golf professionals, always recognizing the ambassador role one plays.
- Have excellent business acumen, being able to clearly outline his/her history of managing the financial aspects and outcomes of his/her operation. Goal setting, achieving objectives and process are critical success factors in this role, as is the ability to define and maintain high level standards, develop, and deliver an exceptional merchandising program, while truly understanding the value of the Brand.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
Preferably, a college degree, from a four-year university or a highly regarded PGM program. Class “A” status and membership in the PGA of America.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club, along with the typical senior staff benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package including PGA membership.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment, clearly articulating your “fit” with the profile and the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary. Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Eben Molloy, GM/COO, and Woodfield Country Club Search Committee, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Woodfield Country Club and South Florida will likely be a fit for you, your family and the Club if selected.
Expressions of interest in this manner should be conveyed to our Firm no later than June 3rd, 2019. Candidate selections will occur in mid-June and first interviews are expected to occur in late June, Final selections will likely be made after July 4th with the successfully selected candidate likely starting before September 1st.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter visit this page.
If you have any questions, please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kurt D. Kuebler, CCM
Partner, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE
561-747-5213 – Jupiter, FL