GENERAL MANAGER PROFILE: EDGEWORTH CLUB
GENERAL MANAGER AT THE EDGEWORTH CLUB
An amazing opportunity exists for candidates with a successful track-record of leadership and high quality operations management at family centric club operations or high-end establishments in the hospitality industry. We are conducting the General Manager search for the Edgeworth Club. The candidate will be an integral part of a high-performing team at one of the most exclusive clubs in the Pittsburgh area.
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
THE EDGEWORTH CLUB & COMMUNITY
Founded in 1893, the Edgeworth Club is a private social and recreational club set among the stately homes of historic Sewickley, Pennsylvania. Sewickley, a borough in Allegheny County located 12 miles west northwest of Pittsburgh, has a rich history that dates back to the mid-1700s. This residential suburb sits along the Ohio River, offering a quaint, small-town feel with all the amenities of Pittsburgh a short distance away. The borough of Sewickley is among a select group of high performing municipalities to become certified through the Sustainable Pennsylvania Community Certification program.
The Edgeworth Club’s original charter states that the Club was founded for the purpose of "promoting friendship among its members and their social enjoyment." The Edgeworth Club’s facilities provide members with the best of any activities they can imagine. The Club offers casual and fine dining, meeting and conference room amenities, sports and recreation, as well as catering and event planning – all tailored to members’ specific needs.
Members and their guests enjoy a variety of lounging, dining, and event venues. The Living Room offers member a comfortable place to relax amid gracious appointments. Modeled after stately Viennese mansions, the Loggia is a breathtaking facility for events, with impressive floor-to-ceiling windows and wrought-iron accents. The finest food and drink are served from the exceptional kitchen to the Loggia. The opulent ballroom is the perfect venue for large events. The Grill Room offers fine dining in a casual atmosphere. The Bar serves beer, wine and spirits along with casual pub food in a friendly and jovial atmosphere. The Terrace is wonderful outdoor space for casual dining, and the Formal Dining Room offers the finest cuisine in an elegant atmosphere - all done to perfection.
The Edgeworth Club has a Wine Society, which was established for those members who like to enjoy private stock wine when visiting the Club. Members of the Wine Society enjoy the privilege of storing up to 18 bottles of private stock wine the Club’s Wine Cellar and private use of the Cellar for up to eight people.
The Edgeworth Club provides members and their guests with the use of several apartments for a home away from home to travelers. The apartments are graciously appointed and have access to all Club amenities.
The Club’s state-of-the-art Fitness Club encompasses three rooms on the ground level; each with a specific purpose. The Edgeworth Club has a professional staff to assist members, and they also offer group exercise classes as well as personal training packages.
The Edgeworth Club provides for its members one of the finest tennis facilities available locally. The Club hosts junior tennis programs, tennis competitions, and various tennis social events throughout the season on great Har-Tru courts. The Junior Tennis Team competes locally against other private clubs in the vicinity. Paddle Tennis is also played at the Club primarily in the colder months and on an elevated court with propane floor heaters. The Edgeworth Club has two U.S. regulation sized squash courts and has been the training site of many fine junior squash players that have completed on a national level throughout the years.
The Edgeworth Club's swim facilities have two pools; an Olympic-sized family pool with a dedicated lap-lane, and a baby pool with beach access. In addition, the Club offers both individual and group swimming lessons for members and host their own competitive swim team.
The Edgeworth Club has one of the finest duckpin bowling alleys in all of Pittsburgh - and surely the best this side of Baltimore. The Club also offers both Men's and Ladies' leagues for members, open bowling throughout the winter months, and Junior bowling during select times of the year. There is something for everyone!
The Edgeworth Club offers a variety of membership categories based upon age and the types of amenities of interest. Active memberships include unlimited access to the Club’s sporting facilities, while Social memberships are somewhat more limited.
EDGEWORTH CLUB BY THE NUMBERS
EDGEWORTH CLUB WEBSITE: www.edgeworthclub.com
- 460 members
- $10,000 Initiation fee
- $5,808 Annual dues (Active member)
- $4M Gross volume
- $1.7M Annual dues volume
- $1.8M F&B volume
- 115 Employees in-season; 40 off-season
- 11 Board members
- 58 Average age of members
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION – POSITION OVERVIEW
The General Manager (GM) of the Edgeworth Club (EC) protects the grand history of the Club and enables the Club to achieve the vision and brand promise established by the Board of Governors. S/he oversees all activities of the Club relating to its Board of Governors, members, guests and employees, and reports directly to the Board of Governors. Through careful oversight of the P&L and management in accordance with the Club's policies and procedures, the GM leads and manages the staff to operate the club with the utmost professionalism and an engaged commitment to family, quality and service, thus ensuring maximum member and guest participation and satisfaction.
The GM is responsible for the creation and implementation of all service culture setting standards and processes while providing leadership for managers and staff at the Edgeworth Club. Clearly, a primary objective is for the GM to represent the Club to all constituencies, including the external community, and to ensure that goals and objectives are defined, understood, evaluated, and enhanced on a continuous basis, to creatively meet the expectations of the membership as defined by the Board of Governors in concert with the GM.
In addition to coordinating and supervising all of the management and administrative functions of the Edgeworth Club, the GM will oversee the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, supporting the strategic and tactical initiatives and expectations that s/he has established with the Board.
The GM is the primary coordinator of food & beverage budgeting, hiring, training, orientations and teammate cultural immersion, and supervision of associates. S/he will therefore be using and applying relevant technology and necessary marketing techniques to drive member usage of food & beverage operations along; assuring member and guest needs and desires are consistently met and often exceeded. Club member and guest satisfaction and enjoyment of the culinary and service experience at the Edgeworth Club are primary “drivers” to its overall success. A developed sense of genuine hospitality and an ability to instill this in the staff is a must.
The GM must support the Edgeworth Club’s membership recruitment and retention efforts. It is critical that s/he understands the local market and economy. As such, the GM must be comfortable and competent being an integral, and sometimes proactive, part of developing relationships that may lead to membership interest and/or business opportunities (banquets/events), and in effectively orienting new members so that their initial experience with the EC results in habitual use of the Club.
The GM, as a strong and highly visible and respectful presence with the membership, must be an exceptional communicator, have adroit personal interactive skills and the maturity to instinctively know how to make members and guests feel that they are consistently treated in a gracious manner. Further, s/he must be able to communicate these expectations to staff with diverse backgrounds and get them to understand and execute to those expectations. The Club prides itself on the compatibility and congeniality of its membership and the GM must epitomize this style of leadership.
The GM is expected to be present at the Club as its “face,” managing operations during regular business hours as well as during evening and weekend private party and club functions.
The GM takes personal ownership of operations, being especially aware of the physical plant and overall presentation of the operation and the need to be consistently member ready in both appearance and service.
- Is a catalyst with the Board of Governors for identifying new programs and services for members and guests, designed to increase usage and/or enjoyment of the Club facilities.
- Recognizes that all amenities at the Edgeworth Club are unique and need to be consistently well-maintained, and that his/her primary mission is to determine and ensure that quality service and product levels are provided, and that the team at the Edgeworth Club consistently supports this goal and delivery.
- The GM recognizes that quality food & beverage operations are primary drivers of the Club and, as such, need to be commensurate with member expectations.
- Ensures that members have consistent opportunities to provide input, suggestions, observations, and concerns about all aspects of the Club and that s/he in turn has multiple opportunities for respectful and engaged communication back to each constituency.
- Recognizes the on-going desire of the Edgeworth Club to uphold a tradition of elegant and outstanding dining in order to ensure that the majority of members’ interests are consistently met.
- Organizes and structures, with appropriately skilled personnel, the day-to-day marketing of the Club for existing and potential new members which maximizes the Club’s ability to generate new and enhance existing members utilization of the Club.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
- Ensures that appropriately skilled and competent managers are in place for key positions and that each of them does the same in their respective areas of responsibility. Sets measurable standards of performance with each of them for their respective departments and holds them accountable for maintaining these standards within the Club.
- Provides clear and consistent input and direction to each associate on his/her team who hold accountability for service and product delivery to the membership and one another. Ensures that each has the appropriate and necessary tools with which to accomplish the desired objectives, while providing regular guidance and evaluation of outcomes.
- Recognizes, respects, and supports the contributions of key managers and staff, many of whom have been a part of the Edgeworth Club for several years, celebrating their successes but also holding them accountable for achievement of agreed upon annual and more frequently determined goals and objectives.
- Inherently enjoys developing and building his/her team and leading them to significant, positive membership satisfaction outcomes.
- Assures that an effective orientation and on-boarding program is in place for associates along with consistent professional development and training.
- Ensures that effective and efficient staffing and scheduling occurs at all the Edgeworth Club dining outlets, balancing financial appropriateness with member satisfaction desires.
- Ensures that associates understand and have clear performance expectations, and that necessary tasks are reasonable, well-conceived and appropriately conveyed.
- Recommends and upholds expectations for dress, decorum, and other service personnel while on duty at the Edgeworth Club, and consistently monitors for adherence.
- Conducts regular performance appraisals and provides on-going feedback relative to performance to each direct report. Interacts with managers pursuant to the appraisal, discipline, and/or discharge, of their respective direct reports.
- Ensures that staff in all areas is focused on positive, supportive relationships amongst themselves and with the membership, and that inappropriate behavior of any type is not tolerated in the workplace. Further ensures that all departmental managers and supervisors are keenly aware and understand these same expectations and are consistently maintaining identical standards.
- Develops and continues to update training manuals and programs as necessary to ensure service excellence and consistency.
- A person who is committed to professional growth and development for him/herself and his/her team of associates.
BUSINESS & FINANCIAL ACUMEN
- Assures excellent food and beverage production and service for all outlets.
- Consistently provides superb dining and other food and beverage experiences for the Club members and guests.
- Develops and enhances consistent on boarding and training programs for all food service personnel, working as necessary with the managers directly responsible for those operations; Has a passion and aptitude for teaching and training.
- Establishes and consistently enhances quantity and quality operating standards for personnel in areas of responsibility, and consistently evaluates their knowledge, understanding, and execution to these standards.
- Clearly understands the financial metrics for successful attainment of goals and objectives in F&B operations, and consistently reviews these expectations with his or her direct reports to ensure understanding and ‘buy-in’ from those contributing to their attainment.
- Assists in planning and is responsible to ensure that special club events are well-conceived and executed.
- Assists in planning and is responsible to ensure that internal marketing and sales promotions for the food & beverage operations occur on a timely basis, and in a manner that conveys a commensurately appropriate style and amount of information to members.
- Proactively identifies strategic projects and business trends that are important to the long-term well-being of the Edgeworth Club and offers recommendations and solutions to the Board and/or appropriate Committees for consideration. The GM, working closely with the Board, is most critically aware of club industry, economic, and membership-related trends that may impact the Edgeworth Club, and is a catalyst in staying ahead of expected negative impacts.
- Is ultimately responsible to ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place for all of the Edgeworth Club’s primary assets – membership, staff, amenities, assets and so forth – whether it be for physical safety purposes, or for protection of information and intellectual property of the Edgeworth Club.
- Ensures that effective control systems are in place to monitor and identify the flow of work, receipts and expenditures, and that all are accomplished with the highest degree of integrity and accountability.
- Is responsible for meeting sales, expense, and surplus goals as outlined and approved in the annual operating budget, to which s/he has been an active participant in creating.
- Installs controls and procedures in food & beverage operations, where necessary, to ensure consistent, efficient delivery of all member and staff services as per budget plan. Assures regular review of these procedures to ensure relevance and reliability of resulting information.
- Ensures that reliable and necessary monitoring of results is in place in order to be able to quickly respond to negative trending and to further enhance positive outcomes in the Edgeworth Club’s food & beverage and clubhouse operations.
- Develops annual, and more often as needed, short and long-term goals and objectives for clubhouse operations, including working with his/her team of associates to develop tactical solutions and enhancements to the member service experience at the Edgeworth Club.
- Develops creative and innovative ways of promoting the Edgeworth Club activities during normal and non-traditional times of the year, recognizing the Club’s history of consistently raising the expectations of its members and guests, especially in the food & beverage operation.
- Is able to clearly understand the financial metrics for successful attainment of goals and objectives in all areas of responsibility, and consistently reviews these expectations with his/her direct reports to ensure understanding and buy-in from those contributing to their attainment.
- Has a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness, while also maintaining quality and integrity of the plan.
- Is sincerely and visibly engaged throughout the operation and, most specifically, in the dining rooms during periods of active usage to be personally connected with members and staff.
- Privacy is essential. At no time during or after his or her employment is the GM allowed to discuss private issues about the Club, including anything regarding members, finances, membership data, or membership status. S/he will not express any private opinions about the Club or any member with anyone not associated with the Club. At no time will an interview be given to any person, publication, press, or media for any reason without the permission of the Board of Governors and with a member of the Board of Governors present.
- Exceptionally strong communication and facilitation skills, both written and verbal, with the appropriate personal presence, and a desire and ability to interact effectively before diverse constituencies of members, staff, vendors, and other people who are part of the success of the Edgeworth Club.
- Places great importance on staff communication and understanding, especially as it relates to the Edgeworth Club’s primary mission and goals, essentially being the protector and promoter of the Edgeworth Club brand. The GM is continuously looking for ways of improving staff knowledge, skills, and consistency in delivery by recognizing that a well-informed staff is respected, enabled, and more effectively able to meet member expectations.
- Clearly understands and enjoys recognizing Edgeworth Club members, their families and guests, and believes in the concept of sincere and engaged interaction.
- The GM is a primary two way conduit for information exchange, and must be consistent, positive and able to listen in this process. S/he must be a true listener who places great importance on personal interactions with all constituencies of the Edgeworth Club. Gathering and disseminating information/data is critically important to help determine the long term, majority interests and desires within the Club, as well as to promote Board initiatives and to dispel incorrect information from being passed among members and staff.
- Is responsible for ensuring frequent and ongoing communications with members regarding updates, issues, and upcoming marketing of events via email, letters, and monthly newsletters. The GM is also responsible for gathering information and feedback from members via annual surveys and service and topic-specific mini-surveys.
- Coordinates a program designed to ensure associates execute a high degree of member recognition, as well as developing and using member preferences and profiling programs designed to meet and/or exceed their expectations of the Edgeworth Club dining experience.
- Holds regular team meetings with his/her direct reports as well as with all service associates to ensure that expectations are regularly and clearly articulated and to keep them informed of necessary and relevant activities and expectations at the Edgeworth Club.
- Recognizes that “no surprise” leadership means keeping the President and Board of Governors consistently informed of all significant or potentially significant issues regarding staff performance, operations, and other club-related matters.
- Has a creative eye for menu design, invitations, etc., to best communicate with members about club dining offerings and events.
- Builds relationships with other club managers in the area and across the country to discuss common issues, understand industry trends, and share solutions.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years of verifiable, progressive leadership and management experience in an active, first class hospitality environment. NOTE: Those current Assistant General Managers or Club Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement, will be strongly considered for this role.
- A verifiable career track that demonstrates a record of tenure and commitment to previous employers, and that career moves were for enhancement of skills and experiences as opposed to ‘unplanned’ career changes.
- Strong general leadership skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, diverse recreational amenity management (fitness, tennis, family activities and others are especially desirable), quality food and beverage programming, exceptional member/guest service programming, strategic planning, project management, and most importantly the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
SALARY & BENEFITS
- A college degree is desirable, but not required.
- In lieu of the degree, substantial private club or hospitality experience will be considered.
- Industry certifications and designation preferred but not required.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Your letter should be addressed to Bill Pietragallo, Edgeworth Club. Clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why Edgeworth and the Pittsburgh area will likely be a “fit” to you, your family and the Club if selected.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume”
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter, visit this page.
If you have any questions, please email Nan Fisher: email@example.com
Lead Search Executive:
Thomas B. Wallace III, CCM, ECM
Partner, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE