GENERAL MANAGER (GM) PROFILE:
NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB (NYCC)
(Click the link at the end of the document to apply)
THE GM OPPORTUNITY AT NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB
The General Manager position at Norfolk Yacht & Country Club (NYCC) is an exciting opportunity to join a club with a rich history, a wide array of amenities and a desire to find a General Manager who will lead the effort for enhanced relevancy in its members lives, while also ensuring that the member experience at NYCC is considered amongst the finest in the region and country.
Helping to lead the strategic planning effort, the new GM will be an integral “partner” with the Board to the Club’s long-term success, and will find a team of long tenured professionals in nearly every department.
NYCC has a large base of members and is looking for a highly energized, communicative, strategic, capable, and innovative professional who is passionate about the Club, the community and the opportunity ahead of him/her.
NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB
Uniquely and ideally located on the Lafayette River on Hampton Boulevard between Old Dominion University and the Norfolk Naval Station, NY&CC is very proud of their history and rich traditions.
With a diverse membership, the Club offers a variety of family, social and recreational activities, dining, tennis, fitness, and fun aquatic and youth programs, on a year-round basis. There is a strong sense of pride and camaraderie amongst the membership, and there are several multi-generational and extended families who have a long history at NYCC. Most members live within one of three or four neighborhoods near the Club and no more than ten minutes away, making it highly convenient.
The main clubhouse is approximately 38,000-square feet and is situated on a prominent point on the shores of the Lafayette River which provides a beautiful vista from the verandas and balconies lining the clubhouse. There are three restaurants to choose from---the Deck, the casual family friendly restaurant; the Grill, or the Main Dining Room. Additionally, there are a number of great view spaces for banquet activities, both large and smaller groups. In the summer and at scheduled other times, the Snack Bar located on the lower level of the Fitness Center and adjacent to the pool, provides upscale casual food and beverages, and is convenient to the marina.
The 18,000-square foot Fitness Center, which is located adjacent to the main clubhouse offers views of the river and an array of fitness equipment, group classes, and trainers – additional fitness options include kayaking and paddle boarding. Additional amenities include a year-round indoor lap pool, two squash courts, and three outdoor pools overlooking the river including a shaded wading pool.
The year-round tennis facility features eight Har-Tru soft surface courts, two hard surface courts, and a Pro Shop.
The NYCC piers, which have been updated in the past few years and provide some of the best facilities on the eastern shore, provide slips for 200 boats including wet slips and lift slips along with dry storage for additional boats. Three launching ramps provide the members with access to the Lafayette River and a fueling station is also available.
There are six guest rooms located on the ground floor of the Main Clubhouse which may be reserved for guests of members, as well as reciprocal members and visitors.
NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB MISSION STATEMENT
“Norfolk Yacht and Country Club is a warm and welcoming club where its members and guests have unique experiences which create lifelong friendships and memories. Our first-class waterfront campus provides an oasis of camaraderie and fun. NYCC has a rich tradition of creating a home for family oriented experiences while taking a progressive approach in meeting the needs of an evolving membership.”
NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB FACTS
- Approximately 1,200 members in all categories
- $10,000 initiation fee for Class “A” membership
- Approximately 200 wet and lift slips and additional dry storage
- $6M approximate gross revenue from all sources
- Approximately $2.2M in F&B revenue
- At present, the Club is in the enviable position of having no long-term debt, but is considering a major capital project that may include significant clubhouse enhancements, a tennis center improvement and other key amenity enrichments (financing and timing of which to be determined)
- 61 average age of members
NORFOLK YACHT & COUNTRY CLUB WEB SITE: www.norfolkyacht.com
GENERAL MANAGER (GM) POSITION DESCRIPTION
Norfolk Yacht & Country Club operates under the General Manager (GM) organizational structure. The GM reports to the Club’s President and is ultimately responsible to the Board of Directors. There are 11 members of the Board that serve 3-year terms.
The Club has an active Committee structure including the following: Entertainment, Finance, Health & Fitness, Building & Grounds, Junior Sailing, Marketing, Membership, Tennis and Yachting.
Direct reports to the GM position, at present, include:
Initial priorities for the new General Manager include:
- Executive Chef
- Clubhouse Manager
- Catering Manager
- Food & Beverage Director
- Director of Fitness
- Marketing and Membership Director
- Director of Tennis
- Spend considerable time with the Board, Members and Staff to “listen and understand the culture and history of NYCC” before making any significant changes.
- “Pay attention to details” around the club --- physical plant, SOPs, presentation of all things NYCC, as well as programming, activities, etc. Working with the senior staff, create enhancement strategies for all areas, keeping the Board well informed of what and why. Ultimately, create a “sense of urgency” within the team centered around the member experience delivery.
- Review current practices for membership recruitment, retention and overall “experience” strategy, and working with the Team and Board, develop a plan for enhancement in each area.
- Review current practices for talent acquisition, orientation, training, professional development and utilization in all operating departments, ultimately making key recommendations or changes after thoughtful analysis.
- Evaluate the marina operation and, working with appropriate staff and committees, to determine strategy to bring it to its full capacity and maximize its financial return.
- Evaluate the employee strengths/weaknesses (SWOT), communicate your vision and strategy to employee’s role in achieving same. Strategy map a plan to further develop a dedicated and talented professional team ensuring high morale and staff satisfaction, ultimately translating into high member and guest satisfaction. The Club is looking for a GM who is able to create and sustain a mentorship culture that provides a consistent execution of the philosophy of “Treat members like guests and guests like members”.
- Review/understand budget and Strategic plan of Board, including coming quickly up to speed on the proposed major capital renovation program, for which you will be a key “face” for presentation and member support, as well as through final design development, build and execution upon completion.
- Review/understand (SWOT) the condition of the grounds/buildings/systems/procedures and operational policies.
- Create a “State of the Club” report to the Board after ninety (90) days of evaluation and observation, providing them with keen insights and recommendations regarding procedures, staffing, programming and other key processes within NYCC.
The ideal candidate:
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Will need to have exceptional general management and leadership skills with verifiable strengths financial performance, programming and recreational amenity management, including (preferably, but not absolutely), marina, boating and harbor management. Especially strong credentials are preferred in highly regarded exceptional member/guest service programming, quality food and beverage programming, strategic planning, activity programming and project management, and most importantly, the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives, and execute to those standards. (PLEASE NOTE: NYCC will consider non-current GMs and other non-club industry professionals who meet the key criterion outlined herein, so long as his/her exposure to ‘best practices’ can be validated along with leadership capabilities.)
- Will have full operational responsibility for the Club, and will be responsible and accountable to develop, monitor and manage the Annual Operating Plan and Budget. He/She is someone who can establish appropriate benchmarks for staff management success, and is clearly able to articulate the reasons “why” to both senior staff and the Board. He/She is someone who understands relevant club industry metrics to success and comparable clubs of high performance, and who has demonstrated capability of instituting operational standards of consistent success.
- Is expected to be a “consummate hospitality professional” with a “servant’s heart” and strong operational management skills, who, in collaboration with the Board, Member Committees and Senior Staff is able to define and strategically execute plans to ensure that the Norfolk Yacht & Country Club is viewed as one of the premier clubs on the East Coast.
- Is someone who is naturally “energized and engaging, visible and interactive with members and staff” in a sincere and meaningful manner; the epitome of respectful, diplomatic relations. Exceptionally strong and timely communication and facilitation skills, both written and verbal, with the appropriate personal presence, desire, and ability to interact effectively before diverse constituencies of members, staff, vendors and other people who are part of the success of Norfolk Yacht & Country Club.
- A disciplined and visionary leader who can impart an appropriate culture of quality service and attention to detail. Is hands on, but works strategically and can clearly communicate his/her strategy and expectations to the team for whom he/she is a natural “mentor”.
- Will ideally have had prior involvement in conceptualizing, developing, coordinating and executing capital projects of some magnitude, including gaining member and staff support and understanding current trends and member/staff expectations.
- As noted, will have the verifiable ability to attract, hire, mentor, develop and lead a high performing team of professionals ensuring that they function as one team, rather than individual departments, while setting and maintaining standards of performance appropriate to perpetuating the Club’s strategic vision.
- A creative problem solver who commands respect because of the way he/she interacts with others and lives up to his/her word and confidently puts forth recommendations to the Board and Staff; a true “partner” with the Board and Committees to the long-term success of NYCC.
- Personally capable and comfortable with technology and incorporates its use, as appropriate in his/her everyday role, while never losing sight of the need for ‘high touch’ relations with Members and employee partners. NYCC is desirous of improving its overall technology ‘footprint’, including updates of systems and communication tools.
- A person who understands and effectively functions in a non-profit, volunteer, member-owned Board and Committee environment, who further recognizes the need to use these groups as sounding bodies, raising issues of a policy nature and offering alternatives in addition to pros and cons. Ultimately, an enthusiastic supporter of Board decisions and directives.
- Armed with a high degree of creative, relevant and innovative ideas relative to food and beverage operations, member activities and programs.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Preferably, a college graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Operational Management, Business Administration or Hospitality Management with a minimum of 5 – 7 years of significant management experience and a preference for at least 5 years of General Management experience in a similar, private, member-owned premier club environment.
- CCM certification or similar credentials are preferred, yet not required. Participation in continuing hospitality industry education a must.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club offers an excellent bonus and benefit package including CMAA membership.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
Preparing a thoughtful letter of interest and alignment, clearly articulating your “fit” with the profile and the above noted expectations and requirements is necessary.
Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Billy Dashiell, Search Chairman and the NYCC Search Committee, and clearly articulate why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why NYCC and the Norfolk area will likely be a “fit” to you, your family and the Club if selected.
Expressions of interest in this manner should be conveyed to our Firm no later than January 25th. Interviews occur in February with the successful candidate likely in place in Spring 2018.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter visit this page.
If you have any questions please email Patty Sprankle: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Partner and Search Executive:
Kurt Kuebler, CCM