GENERAL MANAGER/COO PROFILE: CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB
THE GENERAL MANAGER/COO OPPORTUNITY AT CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
- Historic Golf Club located in one of the finest counties in the country.
- Perry Maxwell designed golf course – ranked as one of the top private courses in Philadelphia.
- Strong financial condition.
- Seeking a General Manager/COO who defines and demonstrates a management and leadership style, and promotes a culture that results in member satisfaction and employee engagement while consistently meeting the annual and long-range financial and strategic goals of the Club.
CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB & COMMUNITY
Eastern Chester County is home to many communities that comprise part of the western suburbs of Philadelphia, while part of its southernmost portion is considered suburban Wilmington, along with southwest Delaware County. Chester County is the highest-income county in Pennsylvania and 24th highest in the nation.
Eastern Chester County/Philadelphia is a great place to live – combining “big city” access and economic vitality with incredible quality of life. It offers abundant leisure activities, a cosmopolitan vibe. It is home to many colleges and universities for talent-skilled labor development. The area has a vibrant business community noted for its leadership in the financial services, healthcare, advance manufacturing, distribution/trade, and corporate services industries, along with a thriving entrepreneurial business environment with strong job growth in technology.
The land in Malvern, Pennsylvania occupied by Chester Valley Golf Club went from being a battleground to farmland to a premier golf club. Generals Washington and Howe deployed their respective forces for a battle that was rained out when a torrential storm soaked both armies’ gunpowder. The would-be battleground became farmland after the war, and more than 150 years later golf came to the Chester Valley.
The Chester Valley golf course was designed by Perry Maxwell and has been in its scenic Chester County location since 1928. The classic style, par-70 championship golf course is the centerpiece of the Club, and provides a challenge to all skill levels.
The course underwent its first major renovation in 1969 by Philadelphia’s George Fazio, and another major renovation of the greens, tees, fairways, and practice facilities was completed by Forse Design in 2008. The Club hosted a Champions Tour event from 1985 to 1997, where it became known as one of the toughest tests on the Champions Tour. Lee Trevino called Chester Valley a “hidden jewel.”
Chester Valley has an active group of men and women golfers of all skill levels and a growing junior program. In addition to its PGA Professional staff providing private lessons, clinics, and junior camps, the Club also has a nationally-recognized Director of Golf Instruction in Residence on-site. With its proximity to all major roadways and several hotels, the Club is a prime location for golf outings.
Golf at Chester Valley continues to thrive after more than 85 years, and it remains one of the premier courses in Chester County, the Philadelphia area, and the entire Delaware Valley. The golf course is a designated Audubon International Certified Cooperative Sanctuary. Through this program the Club provides wildlife habitat, protects water quality, and improves the overall environmental performance, all while preserving the natural heritage of the game of golf.
Chester Valley’s swimming pool complex provides its members with a clean, fun, and safe environment to enjoy one of the most picturesque views of Valley Forge Mountain. Members can take aquatic classes, be part of the competitive summer swim program, or just relax pool side with a cold beverage, snack or meal from the snack bar.
The Club’s racquet facilities include five lighted tennis courts – 3 asphalt and 2 har-tru courts. The addition of a paddle tennis facility is underway, and play is expected to begin in early 2015. Chester Valley has a full-time racquets professional offering private lessons and clinics for all levels of play.
In addition to casual and formal dining facilities, there is a ballroom that seats 300, plus three very distinctive smaller private dining rooms. In 2008 the Pavilion was added, which links the Club’s pool and racquets facilities, and includes outdoor and covered dining, a bar, and locker rooms. An elegant outdoor patio was added in 2014 for the benefit of both the members and outside events.
The clubhouse, built in 1994, is one of the largest entertainment facilities in Chester County. The Club hosts a large variety of member social events for families and adults. Outside events range from small business meetings, luncheons and dinners to elaborate formal weddings and elegant social events.
Chester Valley Golf Club offers a variety of membership options, including Family or Individual Full Golf, Pool/Tennis, Social, and House (dining only). All membership categories are by invitation/sponsorship.
CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB BY THE NUMBERS:
CHESTER VALLEY GOLF CLUB WEBSITE: www.chestervalleygc.org
- 1928 Established
- $6.5M Gross volume
- $2.85 Annual dues volume
- $2.55M F&B volume
- $9,800 Initiation fee – moving to $12,500 Jan 1, 2018
- $7,920 Annual dues – moving to 8,325 Jan 1, 2018
- $3.37 Gross payroll
- 125 Employees (FTE) in season; 85 employees in off season
- 17,000 rounds of golf per year
- 9 Board members
GENERAL MANAGER/COO JOB DESCRIPTION
The General Manager/COO (GM/COO) has responsibility for all day-to-day operations of Chester Valley Golf Club (CVGC). S/he directs and administers all aspects of the operations to include amenities, staff, and all programs and activities to ensure outstanding service and member and guest satisfaction.
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND AREAS OF FOCUS
The successful General Manager/COO will demonstrate:
BE A VISIONARY
- Effective financial management skills through oversight of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Continual visibility to members and staff as the face of the club.
- Attentiveness to member services and satisfaction.
- Process driven leadership.
- Strong leadership and strategic planning experience.
- Ensure a strong team through good hiring, training, communication, and developing a culture of teamwork.
- Understands the Club's marketplace, location and culture; Positions the Club within the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP) and the community as a desirable and admired Club;
- Must be a courageous thought partner for the Board, recognizing the importance of keeping CVGC on the cutting edge of golf club excellence by having a keen understanding of current and future trends, demographics, legislative, economic, and social issues. S/he should be decisive and set aggressive goals and objectives to ensure the Club’s current and future success.
MEMBER RETENTION AND RECRUITMENT
- Must have sound financial management skills including the ability to oversee the preparation and management of annual operating and multi-year capital budgets supporting the strategic and tactical initiatives and expectations that s/he has established with the Board.
- Is ultimately responsible to ensure that appropriate safeguards and controls are in place for all CVGC’s primary assets (membership, staff, amenities, etc.), whether it is for physical safety purposes or for the protection and long-term financial success of the Club.
- Must lead CVGC’s membership recruitment and retention efforts. It is very critical that s/he understands the local market and economy. The candidate has to be comfortable and competent being an integral and proactive part of developing relationships that lead to membership interest and/or business opportunities and is effective in orienting new members so that their initial experience with CVGC results in constant use of the Club.
- Is a catalyst for identifying new programs/services and enhancing current ones for members and their guests to increase club usage, member satisfaction, and member retention.
MEMBER, BOARD AND COMMITTEE RELATIONS
- In partnership with the Board, the GM/COO must lead the development of a strategic plan/business road map for the current and future success of the Club.
- Must be able to identify issues, needs, goals, and objectives to help ensure the perpetuation and continued viability of the Club.
- Ensure that member satisfaction is always the first priority. Provide sincere and visibly engaged leadership and interaction with all facets of the membership and their guests. Be a consistent and positive force behind the creation and continuous enhancement of all aspects of CVGC. Must be visible and available to his/her membership. Recognize that the Member Experience and meeting the expectations of CVGC members is of critical importance to his/her long term success.
- Active participant at Board and Club Committee meetings to set policies and strategies to achieve the Club’s goals and objectives.
- Recognize, respect, and support the contributions of key managers and staff. Ensure that appropriately skilled and competent departmental managers are in place for all key positions and that each of them does the same in their respective areas of responsibility. Set standards of performance for all departments, and hold them accountable for maintaining these standards within CVGC, most especially in member service areas.
- Maintain an environment and overall atmosphere for management/staff that promotes and values appropriate and responsible contributions to the CVGC’s success. Ensure that all staff are focused on positive, supportive relationships amongst themselves and with the membership.
- Will be a primary two way conduit for information exchange, and must be consistent, positive, and able to engage in this process. S/he must be a true listener who places great importance on personal interactions with all constituencies of CVGC.
- Experience in developing a communication platform using contemporary media (website, apps, social media, etc.) is desirable.
- Is the primary verbal and written communicator of important information to members and staff, and recognizes that the ability to convey information in an articulate, well-conceived and well-written manner is of utmost importance.
- Believes in the power of proactive communication (i.e. orienting and culture setting) of members, staff, and guests to ensure the core values of the Club are being recognized and achieved.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A minimum of 5-7 years of progressive leadership/management experience in an active, family-oriented, private, member-owned club environment.
- Strong general management skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, diverse recreational amenity management (golf, tennis, fitness, aquatics, family activities, etc.), quality food & beverage programming, exceptional member/guest service programming, strategic planning, renovations and project management, and the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives.
- Proven and verifiable leadership qualities with demonstrated ability to direct, coordinate, and control all facets of a busy, full service country club with 125 full time staff members and a $6.5M operating/capital budget.
- Strong prior experience in coordinating and overseeing club improvement projects.
- A network of professionals in a wide range of functional skills and disciplines within the hospitality industry that might benefit CVGC.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- A Team Builder. A person who embodies the persona of ultimate coach and motivator, bringing out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, providing consistent feedback and support, and treating others with respect and professionalism.
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a doer and take-charge person and who recognizes the importance of accountability. A creative problem solver who commands respect through professional interactions and integrity.
- Possessive of strong organizational skills and an obsession with details necessary to achieve high levels of quality, satisfaction, and outstanding member experiences.
- A charismatic individual with a sense of humor and style that is commensurate with the culture and expectations of a friendly, fun, and supportive membership and team of associates.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- A Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year university or college is highly desirable, preferably in Hospitality Management.
- In lieu of the degree, substantial private club or hospitality experience may be considered.
- Hospitality industry certifications preferred but not required, preferred designations: CCM, CCE, CMC
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers an excellent bonus and benefit package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter visit this page.
If you have any questions please email Nan Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executive:
Thomas B. Wallace III, CCM, CCE, ECM
Partner, KOPPLIN KUEBLER & WALLACE
412-670-2021 (Cell) – Strongsville, OH