GENERAL MANAGER PROFILE: BRADFORD BATH AND TENNIS CLUB
UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
- One of the premier Tennis and Swim Clubs in the region.
- Family oriented club with character and charm.
- 6 of 8 renovated outdoor and indoor Hydro Tennis Courts.
- Spectacular views of New York City.
- Excellent dedicated staff.
Bradford Bath & Tennis Club is seeking a General Manager who defines and demonstrates a management and leadership style that promotes a culture resulting in member satisfaction and employee engagement. In addition the focus should be on meeting the annual long-range financial and strategic goals of the club.
Bradford Bath is a private, member-owned pool and tennis club that offers members a serene, casual, family-oriented environment. The club strives to offer exceptional competitive, instructional, and social programs in tennis and swimming, as well as varied social events for members of all ages.
Bradford was founded in 1958 when two gentlemen realized their local golf club had no plans for tennis and swimming. Bradford is perched on 7.5 acres and includes three swimming pools, eight tennis courts, seasonal clubhouse with a snack bar, a family picnic area, and an unobstructed view of New York City!
In 2005, the club became member-owned and since that time has upgraded the club’s facilities by rebuilding all three swimming pools, adding a multi-purpose Sport Court, and rebuilding 6 of the 8 tennis courts with state of the art Hydro Court watering systems and landscaped viewing areas.
The club is governed by a Board of Trustees and continues to plan for the future with common purpose and a fond collegiality that is a Bradford hallmark.
Bradford prides itself on the quality of its tennis instruction and its members’ enormous enthusiasm for the sport. Playing levels range from beginners to tournament level. The majority of players enjoy casual games for camaraderie with friends, while competitive players enjoy club tournaments and inter-club matches. The facility was updated and modernized in 2014 and now features Hydro-Court Har-Tru courts and lovely terraced viewing areas.
Their juniors can participate in up to six weeks of tennis camp, take private lessons, clinics or play inter-club matches. A full offering of clinics and lessons is available for adults of all skill levels. Two courts are covered in the winter months by an air-structure to allow the members year round play.
With three beautiful and distinctive swimming pools, there is no better place to relax, play and escape the summer’s heat. The Main Pool allows for lap swimming, swim meets, and diving board action. The Baby Pool allows for little-ones to wade in the pool and begin their experience in the water. The Adult Pool is heated to tropical warmth and overlooks New York City and is a kid-free realm of pure relaxation.
The pools are guarded by certified staff and swim instruction is available for children and adults to improve their comfort level in the water and to master their stroke mechanics.
Bradford is a welcoming and down-to-earth place where adults and children can experience planned activities and meet fellow members. There is a seasonal schedule of social events that includes an Opening Cocktail Party and Chef Competition for adults, but the heart of Bradford social life centers on informal gatherings of families in the picnic area and on the deck of the Adult Pool. Friends and guests gather together for conversation, good food, and the pleasure of each other’s company while enjoying the picturesque view of NYC from across the river. Children enjoy camp opportunities, arts and crafts, movie night, and bingo nights throughout the summer months.
- 8 Tennis Courts
- 2 court indoor air structure for winter play
- Sport court
- Platform tennis court
- 3 pools
- Seasonal Clubhouse and grill/snack bar
- Picnic area with 8 built in grills
- Play grounds
- Number of Club Memberships: Adult 549; Children 322
Please visit the website: www.bbtcnj.com
- Gross Dollar Volume $3,175,000
General Manager Position Description (GM)
The General Manager has responsibility for all day-to-day operations of Bradford. S/he directs and administers all aspects of the operations to include amenities, staff, and all programs and activities to ensure outstanding service and member and guest satisfaction.
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND AREAS OF FOCUS
BE A VISIONARY
- Ability to act as a thought partner with the Board and its Committees.
- Cultural development through good hiring, training, communication, and fostering a strong team work ethic.
- Innovative membership recruitment ideas and experience.
- Strong understanding of seasonal Food operations for the club members and guests.
- Effective financial management skills through oversight of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Sincere and consistent member and staff engagement and visibility to members and staff as the face of the club.
- Superior communication skills, exuding energy, and creativity.
- Attentiveness to member services, programming, and satisfaction.
- Process driven leadership; setting standards of performance and execution including delegation.
- Recognizes the club's marketplace, location and culture and works to position the club within the community as a desirable and admired club.
- Capital project and renovation oversight experience.
- Strong leadership and strategic planning experience
- Must be thought partner for the Board, recognizing the importance of keeping Bradford on the cutting edge of Racquets and Swim club excellence by possessing a keen understanding of current and future trends, demographics, legislative, economic, and social issues. S/he should be decisive and set aggressive goals and objectives to ensure the club’s current and future success.
MEMBER RETENTION AND RECRUITMENT
- Must have sound financial management skills including the ability to oversee the preparation and management of annual operating and multi-year capital budgets supporting the strategic and tactical initiatives and expectations that s/he has established with the Board.
- Is ultimately responsible to ensure that appropriate safeguards and controls are in place for all of Bradford’s primary assets (membership, staff, amenities, etc.), whether it is for physical safety purposes or for the protection and long-term financial success of the club.
- Must lead Bradford’s membership recruitment and retention efforts. It is very critical that s/he understands the local market and economy. The candidate must be comfortable and competent being an integral and proactive part of developing relationships that lead to membership interest and/or business opportunities and is effective in orienting new members so their initial experience with Bradford results in constant use of the Club.
- Is a catalyst for identifying new programs/services (including winter) and enhancing current ones for members and their guests to increase club usage, member satisfaction, and member retention.
MEMBER, BOARD, AND COMMITTEE RELATIONS
- In partnership with the Board, the GM must lead the development of a strategic plan/business road map for the current and future success of the club.
- Must be able to identify issues, needs, goals, and objectives to help ensure the perpetuation and continued viability of the club.
- Ensure that member satisfaction is always the first priority. Provide sincere and visibly engaged leadership and interaction with all facets of the membership and their guests. Be a consistent and positive force behind the creation and continuous enhancement of all aspects of Bradford. Must be visible and available to his/her membership. Recognize that the Member Experience and meeting the expectations of Bradford members is of critical importance to his/her long-term success.
- Must understand and be able to bridge the differences in the club’s demographics through effective member relations, activities programming and communication.
- Active participant at Board and club Committee meetings to set policies and strategies to achieve the goals and objectives.
- Recognize, respect, and support the contributions of key managers and staff. Ensure that appropriately skilled and competent departmental managers are in place for all key positions and that each of them does the same in their respective areas of responsibility. Set standards of performance for all departments, and hold them accountable for maintaining these standards within Bradford, especially in member service areas.
- Maintain an environment and overall atmosphere for management/staff that promotes and values appropriate and responsible contributions to the Bradford’s success. Ensure that all staff is focused on positive, supportive relationships amongst themselves and with the membership.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
- Will be a primary two-way conduit for information exchange, and must be consistent, positive, and able to engage in this process. S/he must be a true listener who places great importance on personal interactions with all constituencies of Bradford.
- Experience in developing a communication platform using contemporary media (website, apps, social media, etc.) is desirable.
- Is the primary verbal and written communicator of important information to members and staff, and recognizes that the ability to convey information in an articulate, well-conceived and well-written manner is of utmost importance.
- Believes in the power of proactive communication (i.e. orienting and culture setting) of members, staff, and guests to ensure the core values of the club are being recognized and achieved.
- Assures gratifying food and beverage production and service in the seasonal snack bar.
- Develops and enhances consistent training programs for all food service personnel, working as necessary with the managers directly responsible for those operations.
- Ultimately responsible for the marketing of banquet and outside functions to members and guests to ensure they are well-conceived, planned and executed.
A minimum of 3 - 5 years of verifiable, progressive leadership and management experience in similar environments. NOTE: Those current Assistant General Managers or Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement, will be strongly considered for this role.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A verifiable career track that demonstrates a record of tenure and commitment to previous employers, and that career moves were for enhancement of skills and experiences as opposed to ‘unplanned’ career changes.
- Strong general leadership skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, diverse recreational amenity management (tennis, paddle, aquatics, family activities and others are especially desirable), quality food and beverage programming, exceptional member/guest service programming, strategic planning, project management, and most importantly the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- A Team Builder. A person who strives to be the ultimate coach and motivator, bringing out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, providing consistent feedback and support, and treating others with respect and professionalism.
- A confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a “doer” and “take-charge person” and who recognizes the importance of accountability.
- Possesses strong organizational skills with an attention to detail necessary to achieve high levels of quality, satisfaction and outstanding members experiences.
- S/he will have strong experience in working with Human Resource issues, including the creation of position descriptions and review procedures.
- A charismatic individual with a sense of humor and style that is commensurate with the culture and expectations of a family friendly, fun, and supportive membership.
Salary & Benefits:
- A Degree is highly desirable, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- In lieu of the degree, substantial private club or hospitality experience will be considered.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred but not a requirement.
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers a bonus and benefit package.
We prefer to have you upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) to our resume service. Please note that you should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them.
The deadline for applications is 5:00 p.m. EST, Friday, November 17, 2017.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume” &
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter visit this page.
If you have any questions please email Nan Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executive:
Racquet Sports, Fitness and General Manager Search Executive