GENERAL MANAGER: BIRNAM WOOD GOLF CLUB
SANTA BARBARA, CA
Click here to view a brief video about this opportunity.
Birnam Wood Golf Club is a private, full-service golf club with premier dining, tennis, fitness and social programs. The membership is a diverse, accomplished community of homeowners, local residents and those that live in metropolitan hubs around the country. Guest cottages complete the facilities available for member enjoyment.
Birnam Wood is hardly the name to be associated with sunny Southern California. It was conceived in the mid-60s by a rugged, tall, craggy Scotsman with sparkling eyes and an affinity for Shakespeare and Macbeth. It conjures up visions of deep mysterious glens, crumbling castles and damp stone. And yet, since 1967, Birnam Wood has become the hallmark of a certain quality of life that is very much a part of Southern California, a way of life generated by the climate and landscape, nurtured by quietness and prosperity.
Birnam Wood Golf Club is set in a virtual paradise of blue skies, year-round 70º temperatures, soft ocean breezes, ancient oaks and scented lemon trees. The glorious orange and magenta sunsets of the Montecito/Santa Barbara coast, often described as “the American Riviera,” provide a backdrop of matchless beauty.
The Club offers a full range of services--fine dining and social activities; a prestigious and well-maintained, walk-on, 18-hole Robert Trent Jones golf course; a robust tennis program featuring two clay and four hard courts; 18 charming guest cottages for visitors and out-of-state members; two world-class croquet greens; and a fitness center to promote health and wellness.
The Club’s historic stone clubhouse, with its panoramic views, is a gemstone of historic architecture, serenity and timeless good taste. The strength of the Club lies not in its magnificent architecture, nor in its setting, but in the bonds of friendship forged among the members who have joined this premier private club for fun and fellowship and the dedicated hospitality professionals, who create a culture of caring by delivering individualized attention and customized personal service.
• $11 M Gross Volume
• $4.9 M Annual Dues Volume
• $2 M Food & Beverage Volume
• Members: 696
Please visit the website at: www.bwgc.net
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
The General Manager (GM) is the senior administrative officer of the organization and is responsible for supporting and executing the mission and vision of the Club. The GM executive has management responsibility for the daily operations of the club as well as establishing and implementing short and long term goals, objectives, plans and policies subject to approval of the Board of Directors. The GM, additionally, represents and serves the membership of the Club.
His/her responsibilities include the financial and operational stability of the organization. Duties include management of staff and overseeing all workforce issues with a focus on maintaining quality services, programs and facilities.
The GM reports directly to the Club President and is responsible for carrying out the Board’s policies and directives to the fullest.
The GM will provide administrative direction, adhere to operational goals, and be available for managerial counsel on all key matters affecting the Club. The GM will work in partnership with the Board and department managers to ensure that the primary goal of high membership satisfaction is achieved, and that the services provided are of the utmost quality.
KEY ATTRIBUTES, SKILLS AND AREAS OF FOCUS
- Assistant General Manager/CFO
- Clubhouse Maintenance Supervisor
- Director of Security
- Director of Tennis
- Executive Chef
- Executive Housekeeper
- Fitness Director
- Food & Beverage Director
- Front Desk Manager
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Head Golf Professional
- Human Resources Manager
- Membership Director
The successful General Manager will demonstrate:
ADDITIONAL ATTRIBUTES AND ABILITIES THAT ARE DESIRED:
- A natural leadership style that promotes staff and membership engagement.
- Ability to act as a “courageous thought partner” with the Board and its Committees. Ability to build strong Board and Committee relationships while working to create a strong bond and communication exchange of diplomatic openness.
- Superior communication skills, exuding energy and creativity. Capable of building relationships with the members, the Board and all staff. Able to reach out to the community and represent BWGC at other local groups and regional clubs.
- Proven experience and creative membership recruitment and retention skills (considered essential)
- Strong understanding of superb dining features and other food and beverage experiences that can be presented for the club members and guests.
- Engaged visibility to members and staff as the face of the club.
- Developing a strong team culture through good hiring, training and consistent communication.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others: provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for personal/professional growth; holds frequent development discussions and follows through appropriately; is aware of a person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them effectively; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will mentor those who need help and further development; cooperates with developmental system within the organization; is a people builder and “multiplier.”
- Charisma: possesses a seasoned, sound, savvy executive presence and magnetic leadership style.
- Action Oriented: enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Change Management: recognizes changing trends in the environment. Harnesses ongoing and updated tools to build organizational capacity and reliability. Engages staff and workforce through timely communication of priorities and is able to make the right tradeoffs. Inspires the right amount of urgency to move the organization toward continuing progress and new outcomes.
- Decision Quality: makes appropriate and timely decisions; based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when evaluated over time; always sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Execution: continually achieves desired results; establishes clear goals, objectives and timelines for the team; holds self and team accountable; inspires a commitment to tasks and knows how to get things done; gets whole team aligned when necessary and knows how to “close the deal.”
- Innovation and Creativity: has demonstrated the ability to bring the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment and insight about what new things and suggestions will work; can facilitate team brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out to the clubs advantage.
- Integrity: establishes and maintains the club’s core values and guiding principles; works extensively on his/her trust building skills toward creating confidences; is genuine and authentic and capable of ‘straight talk’ communications at all times; is the consummate ambassador for the club in all settings; is a credible leader while maintaining the right ‘service quotient’ to the membership.
- Listening: practices attentiveness and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Member Focus: is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of the members and their guests; gets first-hand member information and uses it for improvements in products, programs and services; always acts with the members in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with members and gains their trust and respect.
- Patience: is tolerant with people and processes; listens and checks before acting; tries to understand the people and the data before making decision and acting; waits for others to catch up before acting; sensitive to due process and proper pacing; and follows established process.
- Time Management: uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time that others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Proven credentials in quality food and beverage programming, highly regarded golf operations, exceptional member service programming, strategic planning, renovations, and capital project management
- Possesses exceptional financial and budgeting acumen.
- Possesses the ability to work well with the Board and Committees providing leadership and guidance, along with well-reasoned recommendations. The Club is not looking for a “caretaker” manager, but rather a club professional who recognizes the need to stay fresh and relevant in today’s club environment.
- Experience creating a positive work environment and boosting employee morale
- Team builder and mentor with an open, collaborative leadership style and who is committed to ongoing industry education for staff members
- A motivator and leader who can bring out the best in others by setting clear goals and expectations, promoting accountability, and by providing consistent feedback and support
- Promotes and maintains a culture of warmth and congeniality for all members
- A history of innovation, a champion of new ideas and initiatives, who seeks consistent improvement in member experiences and operational efficiencies
- Engages in critical benchmarking and financial metrics that lead to a proactive response to industry trends
- Knowledgeable in “best practices” of top-performing and high-member-satisfaction clubs and communities around the country
- Technologically proficient and uses technology to improve service delivery to members, as well as to effectively manage and lead operations
- The ability to adapt and positively contribute to changing and evolving circumstances
A minimum of 4 - 5 years of verifiable, progressive leadership and management experience in an active, first-class hospitality environment NOTE: Those current Assistant General Managers or Club Managers at well-recognized clubs, with verifiable records of achievement, will be considered for this role.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
- A verifiable career track that demonstrates a record of tenure and commitment to previous employers, and that career moves were for enhancement of skills and experiences as opposed to ‘unplanned’ career changes.
- Strong general leadership skills with verifiable strengths in team development, financial performance, diverse recreational amenity management (golf, family activities and others are especially desirable), quality food and beverage programming, exceptional member/guest service programming, strategic planning, project management, and most importantly the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- A Degree is highly desirable, preferably in Hospitality Management or Business.
- In lieu of the degree, substantial private club or hospitality experience will be considered.
- Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation preferred but not a requirement
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical CMAA benefits, offers an excellent benefit package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please upload your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the link below. You should have your documents fully prepared to be attached when prompted for them during the online application process.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume”
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Note: Once you complete the application process for this search, you are not able to go back in and add additional documents.
For directions on how to upload your resume and cover letter, visit this page.
If you have any questions, please email Nan Fisher: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Search Executives
Thomas B. Wallace, III, CCM, CCE Partner
Richard Kopplin, Partner